This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin flew in style over the weekend as he jetted to Nepal via Dubai on Emirates in the carrier’s first-class suite. Aldrin is on a week-long tour of the country and will be giving a presentation at the Everest Science Center.
It’s not clear whether Aldrin flew on the Boeing 777 or Emirates’ newer A380. The carrier’s first-class product onboard the A380 features opulent amenities, including an onboard shower and walk-up bar.
Heading off in style to a new country I’ve never been to. Nepal! Who’s coming to the Everest Science Center? pic.twitter.com/SKZaMf54P9
— Buzz Aldrin (@TheRealBuzz) September 4, 2016
— Buzz Aldrin (@TheRealBuzz) September 5, 2016
First-class flights on Emirates typically go for thousands of dollars each way, but remember that you can also redeem miles via Alaska Airlines for a one-way flight starting at 150,000 miles + $58.50 in taxes and fees. You can also transfer Amex Membership Rewards points to Emirates’ Skywards award program to get the 136,250 Skywards Miles + $463 in taxes and fees that’s required to book. The best option, however, is to transfer Starwood Preferred Guest points to Japan Airlines. You’ll need 100,000 miles for a one-way flight, but thanks to SPG’s 5,000 point bonus after transferring 20,000 points, you’ll need to transfer just 80,000 Starpoints from your account.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards