This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From Etihad’s A380 Apartment to Singapore Suites, frequent flyers get to travel on some pretty incredible planes. But, while there are no shortage of opportunities to burn lots of miles for a fantastic long-haul journey, some experiences are a bit out of reach of even the most miles-rich consumers.
One such flight is on NASA’s heavily modified Boeing 747SP, the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy, or SOFIA for short. The in-flight observatory allows scientists to conduct infrared astronomy observations at 41,000 feet, offering a clearer picture since there’s very little water vapor in the air at that level. This 747 flew passengers as part of United’s fleet for nearly 10 years, until it was retired in 1995 and later modified and returned to service. It’s been operating as an in-flight laboratory since 2010.
While we haven’t had a chance to experience SOFIA, Chris Sloan of Airways Magazine was kind enough to share photos from his recent flight, which you can read about in full detail here. Chris got to spend roughly 10 hours on the plane, which flew from Palmdale airport, just north of Los Angeles, making its way up to Washington, across the Midwest and over New Mexico before finally returning to Palmdale.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.