This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this week, United put domestic round-trip award tickets on sale, and now it’s discounting award tickets to Asia. From today (August 11) until August 22, you’ll save 17,776 miles when you book a round-trip award ticket to many Asian cities.
Normally, United requires 70,000 miles to fly round-trip from the US to destinations in North Asia, but with the sale it’ll cost you 52,224 miles and $36 to travel to China, for example. With the example below (Newark to Shanghai), if you were to pay cash for this itinerary, it would cost you $890. Since TPG values United miles at 1.5 cents per mile, you’d be redeeming $783 worth of miles for an $890 flight — an acceptable redemption, but keep in mind that you won’t earn miles on award tickets.
Even with the award discount, United’s nonstop San Francisco (SFO) to Chengdu (CTU) flight doesn’t represent a good value because you’d have to redeem $783 worth of miles to pay for a ticket that only costs $621 in cash.
If you’d like to travel to Singapore and are willing to include a connection in your itinerary, this sale could represent a decent value. You’ll pay 62,224 miles and $81 to fly from San Francisco (SFO) to Singapore (SIN), while if you booked this exact routing with cash it’d cost you a whopping $2,299. But do keep in mind that United operates a non-stop flight between the two cities, which is pricing out at just $802 round-trip.
The discounts are valid for travel between August 29, 2016 and April 30, 2017 on flights that are operated by United and stop in either Mainland China or Hong Kong, meaning United’s nonstop SFO – SIN flight would require the normal 80,000 miles for a round-trip fare.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards