This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The exclusive Visa Infinite program for select credit cards has been in the spotlight lately, and one of its most valuable benefits is a $100 discount off qualifying airfare. Below, TPG Contributor Anthony Cofrancesco shows you how to book a trip using this perk, along with tips on how to get the most value out of it.
Ever since the Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card was converted to Visa Infinite, there’s been plenty of chatter about what perks cardholders can expect to see. The benefit that has received the most attention is the $100 flight credit available when you purchase a round-trip domestic coach ticket for yourself and one to four companions.
This perk is currently active for all Ritz-Carlton cardholders — both those who’ve signed up for the updated card and those who were originally issued a Visa Signature version of the card. Today I’ll walk you through the fundamentals of using the $100 discount for maximum value.
Step 1: Getting Started
Step 2: Searching Flights
The Visa Discount Air Benefit website does not currently support flexible date searching. In order to combat this, I suggest using Google Flights to price out the best fare.
Currently, the Visa Discount Air Benefit Website only supports major carriers. To find the most relevant fares on Google Flights, simply remove low-cost carriers such as Frontier and Spirit from search results.
As can be seen in the above image, the prices shown on The Visa Discount Air Benefit website are nearly identical to what can be booked directly with the airline. Keep in mind that the Visa Discount Air Benefit Website does allow users to fly different airlines for each direction of the trip.
Maximization tip: Try searching one-way flights prior to searching round-trip flights in order to find the best itinerary possible, since you can mix and match.
Step 3: Choosing Your Flight
After searching, you’ll be presented with various flight options. Simply choose your departing and return flights. While you do need to book a round-trip flight, it is possible to fly into one airport but depart from another. If this applies, a reminder will be displayed prior to booking.
Step 4: Booking
The final step in the booking process is reserving your flight. As can be seen in the above image, the $100 discount should be applied. Click Continue, and you’ll be directed to the payment-processing page. Remember that you need to pay for the flights using your Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card to get the $100 credit.
Maximizing the Discount
Although the $100 discount can be applied to any round-trip domestic flight for two to five people, you’ll get the best value when booking inexpensive tickets for two. Keep in mind that the cardholder must be on the itinerary in order to receive the discount.
By utilizing this perk on inexpensive flights for two travelers, it’s possible to to fly (almost) for free while still earning 2 points per dollar (since it will code as travel), as well as elite-qualifying and redeemable miles with the frequent flyer program of the carrier in question. As can be seen in the above photo, users can apply the $100 discount to flights routing through Hawaii and Alaska, though US territories such as Puerto Rico do not work.
Remember, the $100 flight discount can be used as often as you like, as there’s currently no stated limit. If used consistently, this perk could be prove to be incredibly valuable.
Have you used the $100 airfare credit yet? Share your experience in the comments below!
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees