900 Identical Bags Make For An Olympic-Sized Headache at Heathrow Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every member of Team Great Britain was issued gear for this year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, including red duffel bags from Adidas. The red bags turned out to cause quite the logistical challenge once the team landed at London’s Heathrow Airport after the conclusion of the games. The team learned that it was in for a longer airport experience than usual when each of the 900 identical duffels fell on to the baggage claim carousel.
The baggage collection proved to be an equal task to actually competing in the Olympics, with many team members not leaving the airport until several hours after arriving. While many passengers would quickly lose patience in a situation like this, the athletes remained light-hearted and some, such as silver medalist windsurfer Nick Dempsey, tweeted funny selfies making light of a situation that would be a nightmare for many travelers.
The arrivals hall was a sea of red luggage, as gold medal rower Matt Langridge captured in a panorama he shared on Twitter.
— Matt Langridge (@matt_langridge8) August 23, 2016
Ultimately, everyone was reunited with their own luggage — even if it did take several hours of sorting. Hopefully Team Great Britain will keep this episode in mind when selecting gear for the 2020 games in Tokyo.
H/T: The Washington Post
Featured image courtesy of Nick Dempsey.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees