900 Identical Bags Make For An Olympic-Sized Headache at Heathrow Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every member of Team Great Britain was issued gear for this year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, including red duffel bags from Adidas. The red bags turned out to cause quite the logistical challenge once the team landed at London’s Heathrow Airport after the conclusion of the games. The team learned that it was in for a longer airport experience than usual when each of the 900 identical duffels fell on to the baggage claim carousel.
The baggage collection proved to be an equal task to actually competing in the Olympics, with many team members not leaving the airport until several hours after arriving. While many passengers would quickly lose patience in a situation like this, the athletes remained light-hearted and some, such as silver medalist windsurfer Nick Dempsey, tweeted funny selfies making light of a situation that would be a nightmare for many travelers.
The arrivals hall was a sea of red luggage, as gold medal rower Matt Langridge captured in a panorama he shared on Twitter.
— Matt Langridge (@matt_langridge8) August 23, 2016
Ultimately, everyone was reunited with their own luggage — even if it did take several hours of sorting. Hopefully Team Great Britain will keep this episode in mind when selecting gear for the 2020 games in Tokyo.
H/T: The Washington Post
Featured image courtesy of Nick Dempsey.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.