Watch the Olympics from Visa VIP Lounges with Your United Credit Card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – United MileagePlus Explorer Card
As you’ve probably heard by now, the 2016 Olympic Games are set to kick off next month in Rio. And today, Visa announced that it’ll be offering cardholders of United co-branded Chase cards the chance to watch the Games from exclusive Visa VIP Lounges.
The nicest part about the lounges is that even if you’re not headed to Rio for the Games, there will be four other domestic Visa VIP Lounges for you to go to and sit back, relax and enjoy the Games — in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and New York. To enter the Rio Visa VIP Lounge, you’ll need to show your United MileagePlus Explorer Card, United MileagePlus Club Business Card, United MileagePlus Club Card or United MileagePlus Explorer Business Card to get complimentary access for you and up to three guests. To enter the US-based lounges, you’ll need to reserve your space and pay $25 by visiting VisaVipLounge.com or by calling 1-800-619-8678.
Here is the complete schedule for the Visa VIP Lounges:
- Rio de Janeiro VIP Lounge — August 11-14, 6:00pm to 2:00am
- Location: Copacabana Palace Hotel
- Olympic Athletes: Summer Sanders (swimming) and Nadia Comaneci (gymnastics)
- Los Angeles VIP Lounge — Saturday, August 6, 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Location: The Mixing Room — 900 W. Olympic Blvd., Los Angeles
- Olympic Athletes: Amanda Beard (swimming), Brandi Chastain (soccer) and Bode Miller (skiing)
- San Francisco VIP Lounge — Sunday, August 7, 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Location: Sock in Trade — 2036 Lombard St., San Francisco
- Olympic Athletes: Amanda Beard (swimming), Brandi Chastain (soccer) and Jonny Moseley (skiing)
- Chicago VIP Lounge — Thursday, August 11, 6:00pm-10:00pm
- Location: Fremont — 15 W. Illinois St., Chicago
- Olympic Athletes: Amanda Beard (swimming), Kerri Strug (gymnastics), Jonny Moseley (skiing) and Tim Morehouse (fencing)
- New York VIP Lounge — Saturday, August 13, 7:00pm-11:00pm
- Location: The 40/40 Club — 6 W. 25th St., New York
- Olympic Athletes: Jackie Joyner-Kersee (track and field), Amanda Beard (swimming), Kerri Strug (gymnastics) and Tim Morehouse (fencing)
All lounges will feature Olympic athlete meet-and-greets, TVs, lounge seating and food and beverages with a Brazilian theme. Ultimately, this is a pretty neat promotion from Visa, United and Chase — especially if you’re a big sports fan. If you’re a cardholder and going to be in Rio for the Games, it’s definitely worthwhile to stop by, especially because it’s free. If you’re in one of the four domestic cities, the $25 fee could be worthwhile for the food, drinks, atmosphere and being able to meet several Olympic athletes.
As a reminder, several of the United MileagePlus cards are a great option, especially for the United flyer. The United MileagePlus Explorer Card comes with a sign-up bonus of 30,000 miles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months. You’ll get two United Club passes each year, as well as 5,000 bonus miles when you add an authorized user and they make a purchase in the first three months. See this list for eight reasons why you should get the card.
Welcome to The Points Guy!