This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
First Southwest announced upcoming service between EWR and Puerto Rico, then Alaska Airlines shared its plans to fly to EWR from three new West Coast cities and several other carriers announced new routes to the airport. Now Virgin America is expanding its service to Newark with new round-trip transcontinental flights.
Starting on November 18, 2016, the carrier will offer 10 daily flights from Los Angeles (LAX) to the New York City area, with a new flight to and from Newark. On that same date, Virgin America will also increase the frequency of flights from San Francisco (SFO) to NYC to nine per day, with one additional Newark round-trip on this route as well. This is good news for Elevate members looking to book a transcon, as there will be more available flight times in each direction.
Here’s the schedule for flights between LAX and EWR and SFO and EWR, with the new flights in bold:
It’s great to see the steady influx of new flight announcements as a result of the FAA’s decision to open up slots at Newark to more airlines, including low-cost carriers. While Virgin America’s two-cabin Airbus A320 isn’t necessarily the most luxurious way to travel coast to coast, the two additional daily flights are definitely positive news for customers — especially since these new flights are launching just in time for the busy holiday travel season. And while the Alaska Airlines-Virgin America merger is set to move forward, the airlines could very well maintain separate brands, so the just-announced flights aren’t necessarily going anywhere once the acquisition goes through.
Virgin America’s running a brief fare sale to celebrate the announcement, with one-way flights in each direction starting at $149. (If you want to lock in one of these low fares, make sure to do so today, July 28, and note that you must travel between December 6, 2016 and February 28, 2017.)
What other new flight announcements to EWR do you hope to see?
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.