This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A few years ago, Starwood announced that it was introducing Delta and its Crossover Rewards program, which reciprocated benefits for elites of both programs. And then nearly two years later, Starwood announced it was launching a new, similar partnership with Emirates. And now, Starwood’s announced a third airline with which it now has a partnership for elites — China Eastern.
As Gary Leff notes, starting in late 2016, China Eastern and Starwood are teaming up for Eastern Explorer Rewards, which will generate similar benefits for travelers when they stay at SPG properties or fly with China Eastern. We don’t have any details other than that as to exact earning rates with both programs, but stay tuned.
Overall, this is good news for both SPG loyalists and China Eastern passengers, as the reciprocal points/miles earning can only be a bonus. Hopefully, SPG will continue to add other airlines to participate in programs such as this. That being said, it’s unclear how these partnerships will work once the Starwood and Marriott merger is finalized later this year — though we still don’t know exactly what Marriott has in store for SPG in general.
H/T: View From the Wing
Featured image courtesy of the Sheraton Taipei.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.