Kids Frequent Flyer Miles Earned in the Parents Account
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Wouldn’t it be awesome if frequent flyer miles earned by your young kids went straight into your frequent flyer account? That would be so much better to me than having extra accounts with small balances here and there to worry about so the miles don’t expire and go to waste.
As you probably know, in most programs that is just a pipe dream. With many programs kids can earn their own frequent miles when flying on paid tickets, but those miles sit in their own individual accounts. With some programs you can pool those points, or move them to your account without a fee. JetBlue’s Family Pooling program and the British Airways Household Accounts are good widely known examples of when this is possible, but they aren’t the only ones. Virgin Australia, ANA, Qantas, Etihad, and several more (mostly foreign) programs also allow you to pool or transfer points between family members for low or no fees.
However, maybe the pipe dream of having kids’ miles funnel directly into the parents’ frequent flyer accounts isn’t so crazy after all. In fact, at least one program does exactly that. The MilleMiglia program from Alitalia allows for the miles of children aged 2 – 13 earned on Alitalia flights to go directly into one parent’s frequent flyer account. When the child turns 14 the link automatically ends and the child can earn miles in their own account.
Can you image how cool and useful it would be if your kid’s United or American or Delta miles went right into your account instead of theirs? Right now that isn’t possible with the major US programs, but you should still be sure that your little travel is earning their own miles on paid flights…they may even wind up with their own elite status!
Do you participate in any programs that allow the parent to earn or at least pool the children’s frequent flyer miles?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees