This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to travel. Additionally, keep in mind that discounted partner fares may not earn miles with US-based carriers.
Several airlines are competing heavily on the US to South Pacific routes. We are seeing availability from Los Angeles (LAX) and San Fransisco (SFO) to Sydney (SYD), Melbourne (MEL), Auckland (AKL) and possibly more cities. Flights at this price are available starting in August and go through the end of schedule in May, with the Christmas period being blacked out. With this deal, it’s possible to fly on American, Delta, United, Air New Zealand, Virgin Australia and Qantas (all of the major carriers flying to the South Pacific).
Airline: American, Delta, United, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin Australia
Routes: LAX and SFO to AKL, BNE, MEL and SYD
Cost: $682+ round-trip in economy
Dates: August 2016 – May 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz
Pay With: American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here are some examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Auckland (AKL) for $682 round-trip on American in November:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Sydney for $737 round-trip on Delta in November:
San Francisco (SFO) to Melbourne (MEL) for $743 round-trip on American and Qantas in October:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Sydney (SYD) for $737 round-trip on United in November:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
H/T: The Flight Deal.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards