This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to travel. Additionally, keep in mind that discounted partner fares may not earn miles with US-based carriers.
We have seen discounted flights to Southeast Asia frequently over the past few months, but usually on mainland Chinese carriers. But right now, ANA and United are offering discounted fares to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, via Tokyo and Hong Kong. Fares are starting at $548 round-trip from Chicago (ORD). We also found availability from New York (JFK and EWR), Los Angeles (LAX), San Fransisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA) and Houston (IAH) for only a few dollars more. This deal is valid from the end of September through November, including Thanksgiving. There may be more availability from other cities in the US that United serves, as well as elsewhere in Vietnam and Southeast Asia.
Airline: United and ANA
Route: US cities to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Cost: $548+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2016 through November 2016
Fare Class: K, L
Miles Earned: At least 17,438 elite-qualifying miles
Booking Link: Orbitz
Pay With: American Express Premier Rewards Gold, Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chicago (ORD) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $548 round-trip on United in October:
Newark (EWR) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $585 round-trip on United in November:
San Fransisco (SFO) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) for $579 round-trip on United in November:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards