This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Citi Prestige Card is one of TPG’s top picks in his latest monthly round-up of card offers, and it’s a great option to use for paid hotel stays thanks to the incredibly valuable 4th Night Free benefit. Provided you can maximize the card’s many perks, it’s definitely worth a spot in your wallet, even considering the $450 annual fee. And if you’ve been considering signing up, now may be just the time to do so, as the card will reportedly be getting a new sign-up bonus on Tuesday, July 19.
Currently, the card has a sign-up bonus of 50,000 Citi ThankYou points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, that points haul is worth $800 — and you can put those rewards to great use with travel partners such as Cathay Pacific, Etihad Guest, Hilton and Virgin Atlantic, in addition to redeeming points for 1.6 cents apiece with American and 1.33 cents apiece for all other airfare. (TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig has gotten thousands of dollars in value from the card.)
It’s unclear whether the sign-up offer will increase or decrease, but given the way things work in the travel rewards space — and the fact that the Citi ThankYou Premier Card recently eliminated its sign-up bonus completely — it’s more likely to go down rather up. We’ve seen targeted 100,000-point offers for the Citi Prestige in the past, but it’s highly unlikely that the issuer would make this the standard bonus. It’s also unclear if any other changes are in store for the card. Given the popularity of the amazing 4th Night Free perk, which is now easier than ever to use, it’s likely that at least that benefit is safe, or at least we hope!
When it comes to travel rewards, uncertainty is just a fact of life. You never know when a credit card sign-up bonus will drop significantly or a frequent flyer program will announce a devaluation. That’s one of the reasons that you shouldn’t earn points and miles without a goal or a plan for redeeming them — and it’s also something to consider when you’re weighing whether or not to wait before applying for a card.
That said, even if you do wait to apply for the Citi Prestige Card and the bonus goes down, it could still be worth it. While the ThankYou points are definitely nice to have, the card’s main draw is the ability to get a fourth night free on a hotel stay, which can save you thousands. That’s not even mentioning the $250 annual airline fee credit (which can be used for airfare in addition to incidentals), complimentary Admirals Club access when you fly AA and Priority Pass membership. We’ll have to wait until Tuesday to know for sure what the Citi Prestige Card has in store, but depending on your situation, this news could be the extra push that leads you to apply now rather than later.
Share your predictions for the new Citi Prestige Card bonus in the comments below!
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees