This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Citi Prestige Card is one of TPG’s top picks in his latest monthly round-up of card offers, and it’s a great option to use for paid hotel stays thanks to the incredibly valuable 4th Night Free benefit. Provided you can maximize the card’s many perks, it’s definitely worth a spot in your wallet, even considering the $450 annual fee. And if you’ve been considering signing up, now may be just the time to do so, as the card will reportedly be getting a new sign-up bonus on Tuesday, July 19.
Currently, the card has a sign-up bonus of 50,000 Citi ThankYou points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months. Based on TPG’s latest valuations, that points haul is worth $800 — and you can put those rewards to great use with travel partners such as Cathay Pacific, Etihad Guest, Hilton and Virgin Atlantic, in addition to redeeming points for 1.6 cents apiece with American and 1.33 cents apiece for all other airfare. (TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig has gotten thousands of dollars in value from the card.)
It’s unclear whether the sign-up offer will increase or decrease, but given the way things work in the travel rewards space — and the fact that the Citi Premier Card recently eliminated its sign-up bonus completely — it’s more likely to go down rather up. We’ve seen targeted 100,000-point offers for the Citi Prestige in the past, but it’s highly unlikely that the issuer would make this the standard bonus. It’s also unclear if any other changes are in store for the card. Given the popularity of the amazing 4th Night Free perk, which is now easier than ever to use, it’s likely that at least that benefit is safe, or at least we hope!
When it comes to travel rewards, uncertainty is just a fact of life. You never know when a credit card sign-up bonus will drop significantly or a frequent flyer program will announce a devaluation. That’s one of the reasons that you shouldn’t earn points and miles without a goal or a plan for redeeming them — and it’s also something to consider when you’re weighing whether or not to wait before applying for a card.
That said, even if you do wait to apply for the Citi Prestige Card and the bonus goes down, it could still be worth it. While the ThankYou points are definitely nice to have, the card’s main draw is the ability to get a fourth night free on a hotel stay, which can save you thousands. That’s not even mentioning the $250 annual airline fee credit (which can be used for airfare in addition to incidentals), complimentary Admirals Club access when you fly AA and Priority Pass membership. We’ll have to wait until Tuesday to know for sure what the Citi Prestige Card has in store, but depending on your situation, this news could be the extra push that leads you to apply now rather than later.
Share your predictions for the new Citi Prestige Card bonus in the comments below!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees