Air France Flight Attendants on Strike Through August 2
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s another strike in France affecting air traffic starting today, but this time it’s not the air traffic controllers. Around 35% of Air France’s cabin crew will be on strike from today through August 2.
The good news is that most of Air France’s flights will still be operating during this strike. Air France has announced that it will still be operating 90% of its long-haul flights — at least for the first few days of the strike. The Guardian notes that flights to destinations in Europe, North Africa, Israel and Asia are the routes that will be most affected by the strike.
Note that the strike is only affecting Air France-operated flights. Flights operated by HOP!, KLM and Delta are unaffected by this strike.
Have an upcoming Air France 777 business-class flight? It seems you may be in luck. Air France’s Boeing 777s are seemingly unaffected by this strike. While this isn’t noted in Air France’s announcement, Air France’s subsidiary HOP! notes in its travel advisory that only Airbus aircraft will be affected by the strike.
While most flights are expected to operate, Air France has a rather ominous warning about operational difficulties. Even if a flight isn’t canceled, it seems that some customers may be denied boarding due to having a reduced number of flight attendants onboard:
However, there may be last-minute cancellations and delays. Difficulties with crew compositions may also limit the number of passengers per flight.
Airline Fee Waivers
Unlike the perpetual ATC strikes, thankfully, this strike only affects Air France-operated flights. To see if you’re affected, first check to see if you have a flight on an Air France-operated flight now through August 2. If so, you might be able to change your flights for free.
Air France (Free changes and cancellations)
If you wish to postpone your trip, we offer you the following commercial measures.
If you have planned a trip on an Air France flight between July 27 and August 2, 2016:
- You can bring your trip forward on 26 July 2016, or postpone your trip from 3 to 12 August 2016 inclusive. You can change your reservation at no extra cost in the same class of travel.
You can make these changes on this website*, in the “Your reservations” section, on our mobile sites or from your travel agent.
You can also postpone your trip beyond 12 August, 2016, change your origin or destination or if you no longer wish to travel, you can receive of a non-refundable voucher valid one year on Air France, KLM or Hop! In this case, you may contact your travel agent.
* Subject to eligibility. If this service is not available, please contact Air France (phone number available on this site in the “Contact us” section”).
Delta (Change fee waived, but must pay difference in fare in some cases)
- All Flights Operated by Air France aircraft
- Impacted Travel Date(s): July 27-August 2, 2016
- Ticket must be reissued on or before: August 12, 2016
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: August 12, 2016
When rescheduled travel occurs beyond August 12, 2016, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue. If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity.
Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.
As of publication, no travel fee waivers have been issued by KLM.
Will you be affected by this strike?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.