Air France Flight Attendants on Strike Through August 2
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s another strike in France affecting air traffic starting today, but this time it’s not the air traffic controllers. Around 35% of Air France’s cabin crew will be on strike from today through August 2.
The good news is that most of Air France’s flights will still be operating during this strike. Air France has announced that it will still be operating 90% of its long-haul flights — at least for the first few days of the strike. The Guardian notes that flights to destinations in Europe, North Africa, Israel and Asia are the routes that will be most affected by the strike.
Note that the strike is only affecting Air France-operated flights. Flights operated by HOP!, KLM and Delta are unaffected by this strike.
Have an upcoming Air France 777 business-class flight? It seems you may be in luck. Air France’s Boeing 777s are seemingly unaffected by this strike. While this isn’t noted in Air France’s announcement, Air France’s subsidiary HOP! notes in its travel advisory that only Airbus aircraft will be affected by the strike.
While most flights are expected to operate, Air France has a rather ominous warning about operational difficulties. Even if a flight isn’t canceled, it seems that some customers may be denied boarding due to having a reduced number of flight attendants onboard:
However, there may be last-minute cancellations and delays. Difficulties with crew compositions may also limit the number of passengers per flight.
Airline Fee Waivers
Unlike the perpetual ATC strikes, thankfully, this strike only affects Air France-operated flights. To see if you’re affected, first check to see if you have a flight on an Air France-operated flight now through August 2. If so, you might be able to change your flights for free.
Air France (Free changes and cancellations)
If you wish to postpone your trip, we offer you the following commercial measures.
If you have planned a trip on an Air France flight between July 27 and August 2, 2016:
- You can bring your trip forward on 26 July 2016, or postpone your trip from 3 to 12 August 2016 inclusive. You can change your reservation at no extra cost in the same class of travel.
You can make these changes on this website*, in the “Your reservations” section, on our mobile sites or from your travel agent.
You can also postpone your trip beyond 12 August, 2016, change your origin or destination or if you no longer wish to travel, you can receive of a non-refundable voucher valid one year on Air France, KLM or Hop! In this case, you may contact your travel agent.
* Subject to eligibility. If this service is not available, please contact Air France (phone number available on this site in the “Contact us” section”).
Delta (Change fee waived, but must pay difference in fare in some cases)
- All Flights Operated by Air France aircraft
- Impacted Travel Date(s): July 27-August 2, 2016
- Ticket must be reissued on or before: August 12, 2016
- Rebooked travel must begin no later than: August 12, 2016
When rescheduled travel occurs beyond August 12, 2016, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue. If travel is not able to be rescheduled within these guidelines, customers may cancel their reservation and apply any unused value of the ticket toward the purchase of a new ticket for a period of one year from the original ticket issuance. Applicable change fee and fare difference will apply for new travel dates. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity.
Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.
As of publication, no travel fee waivers have been issued by KLM.
Will you be affected by this strike?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees