Buy Starpoints for 2.45 Cents Each Through July 1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express.
Last month, Starwood Preferred Guest co-branded Amex credit card holders were given the opportunity to purchase Starpoints at a 35% discount — less than 2.3 cents apiece. However, that was only valid for SPG members who were cardholders of either the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express or the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express. And now, it looks like all SPG members have access to a nearly as generous offer to purchase Starpoints for as little as 2.45 cents apiece — a 30% discount on purchased Starpoints through July 1, 2016.
To purchase Starpoints at this discounted rate, go to Starwood’s points site and select the number of points you’d like to purchase. Keep in mind that you need to purchase at least 5,000 Starpoints in order to be eligible for the discount. Also note that Starwood’s customary maximum of 30,000 purchased points per account per calendar year does apply, and if you were to buy those 30,000 outright with this promotion, you’d pay $735 — as opposed to $1,050 without the discount.
Should You Do It?
Considering the pending Starwood-Marriott merger, which is expected to finalize later this year, buying Starpoints doesn’t necessarily make sense as a long-term investment. Although we don’t know exact details about the future of both the SPG and Marriott Rewards programs, there’s always a chance that Starpoints will be converted to Marriott Rewards points at an unfavorable rate. So this current offer could make more sense if you can use the points toward a redemption in the near future.
For example, the Royal Palm South Beach Miami, which is a Tribute Portfolio Resort, is an SPG Category 5 property, requiring 12,000-16,000 Starpoints for a free night. For a five-night stay over Christmas, you’d pay $437 per night, however, if you were to use Starpoints for a free night, you’d pay just 9,600 Starpoints per night, as you’ll get the fifth night for free. Purchased at 2.45 cents apiece, 10,000 Starpoints (because you have to buy in increments of 500 points) would cost you $245, as opposed to the regular $350. This would offer a great return on your purchase if you could take advantage.
If you have a specific redemption in mind that you’re planning on taking advantage of before the merger finalizes, it could make sense to take advantage of this promotion. You have some time to decide whether or not you want to take advantage (until July 1), so consider whether or not you’ll be getting the best value from your purchased Starpoints. You can also boost your balance by applying for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express and the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express. Both cards are currently offering a bonus of 25,000 Starpoints after spending $3,000 in the first three months for the personal card and $5,000 in the first three months on the business card.
Featured image of the Royal Palm South Beach Miami courtesy of Starwood.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees