Buy Starpoints for 2.45 Cents Each Through July 1
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express.
Last month, Starwood Preferred Guest co-branded Amex credit card holders were given the opportunity to purchase Starpoints at a 35% discount — less than 2.3 cents apiece. However, that was only valid for SPG members who were cardholders of either the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express or the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express. And now, it looks like all SPG members have access to a nearly as generous offer to purchase Starpoints for as little as 2.45 cents apiece — a 30% discount on purchased Starpoints through July 1, 2016.
To purchase Starpoints at this discounted rate, go to Starwood’s points site and select the number of points you’d like to purchase. Keep in mind that you need to purchase at least 5,000 Starpoints in order to be eligible for the discount. Also note that Starwood’s customary maximum of 30,000 purchased points per account per calendar year does apply, and if you were to buy those 30,000 outright with this promotion, you’d pay $735 — as opposed to $1,050 without the discount.
Should You Do It?
Considering the pending Starwood-Marriott merger, which is expected to finalize later this year, buying Starpoints doesn’t necessarily make sense as a long-term investment. Although we don’t know exact details about the future of both the SPG and Marriott Rewards programs, there’s always a chance that Starpoints will be converted to Marriott Rewards points at an unfavorable rate. So this current offer could make more sense if you can use the points toward a redemption in the near future.
For example, the Royal Palm South Beach Miami, which is a Tribute Portfolio Resort, is an SPG Category 5 property, requiring 12,000-16,000 Starpoints for a free night. For a five-night stay over Christmas, you’d pay $437 per night, however, if you were to use Starpoints for a free night, you’d pay just 9,600 Starpoints per night, as you’ll get the fifth night for free. Purchased at 2.45 cents apiece, 10,000 Starpoints (because you have to buy in increments of 500 points) would cost you $245, as opposed to the regular $350. This would offer a great return on your purchase if you could take advantage.
If you have a specific redemption in mind that you’re planning on taking advantage of before the merger finalizes, it could make sense to take advantage of this promotion. You have some time to decide whether or not you want to take advantage (until July 1), so consider whether or not you’ll be getting the best value from your purchased Starpoints. You can also boost your balance by applying for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express and the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express. Both cards are currently offering a bonus of 25,000 Starpoints after spending $3,000 in the first three months for the personal card and $5,000 in the first three months on the business card.
Featured image of the Royal Palm South Beach Miami courtesy of Starwood.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.