Use KrisFlyer Miles to Upgrade Your Seat to or from Premium Economy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Last month, Singapore Airlines announced that it would soon allow customers to book their flights with KrisFlyer miles in premium economy starting May 24. And starting June 1, the carrier would allow passengers to upgrade their paid ticket from premium economy to business class or from economy to premium economy — however, only one of the upgrades can be made.
As of today, those award upgrades are available for booking on the carrier’s website. It’s worth noting that you can waitlist your flight, and it also appears that there can be either one or two redemption level options — Saver or Standard, as the carrier did away with its “full” redemption as of May 24.
This example one-way upgrade from Frankfurt (FRA) to New York (JFK) from premium economy to business class costs 26,350 KrisFlyer miles. According to TPG’s most recent valuations, you’d be using miles worth a total of $395 — a great deal for the carrier’s premier business-class product. Note that this rate is based on the Standard level and not the Saver level — according to this chart of premium economy upgrade redemptions, the Saver level is 21,000 KrisFlyer miles and the Standard level is 31,000 miles (the above figure reflects the 15% discount for booking online).
Keep in mind that you can also book award tickets outright in premium economy. This one-way award ticket from New York (JFK) to Frankfurt (FRA) requires 45,000 in premium economy. If you book an award ticket, you can’t upgrade that ticket to business class using KrisFlyer miles as it’s not a paid ticket. You can click here for Singapore’s chart for booking award tickets, which has been effective since May 24.
Don’t forget that you can transfer points from Chase Ultimate Rewards, Amex Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest to Singapore KrisFlyer. Although you can transfer points from all of the major points-earning programs, you’re probably best off transferring points from your Citi ThankYou account, as ThankYou points are worth the least in TPG’s latest monthly valuations at 1.6 cents apiece. You can earn ThankYou points with cards like the Citi Prestige, Citi Premier® Card and the Citi ThankYou Preferred Card. Remember that Citi ThankYou points take two days to transfer to Singapore KrisFlyer.
Featured image courtesy of Singapore Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees