This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to travel. Additionally, keep in mind that discounted partner fares may not earn miles with US-based carriers.
American Airlines is currently offering some great deals on round-trip flights to Cozumel (CZM) from New York (EWR). The discounted flights involve one stop and are valid for June through early-December departures as well as those from January through April 2017. We’re seeing round-trip fares as low as $286, so don’t miss out if you’re planning to make a Mexican beach escape anytime soon.
On most flights now through mid-January, connection times are not very favorable, with most giving you an overnight stay in Dallas (DFW) or Miami (MIA). If this doesn’t sound ideal, consider planning to fly between mid-January and April of 2017 instead, when connection times tend to be fewer than two hours — just don’t wait until then to book your trip!
Airline: American Airlines
Route: EWR to CZM
Cost: $286+ round-trip in economy
Dates: June – Early December 2016; January – April 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz
Pay With: American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (EWR) to Cozumel (CZM) for $286 round-trip on American Airlines in December 2016:
New York (EWR) to Cozumel (CZM) for $286 round-trip on American Airlines in January 2017:
New York (EWR) to Cozumel (CZM) for $286 round-trip on American Airlines in March 2017:
New York (EWR) to Cozumel (CZM) for $290 round-trip on American Airlines in September 2016:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards