Utilizing a New Sweet Spot on the AAdvantage Award Chart
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When the American Airlines AAdvantage made award chart changes earlier this year, most of the changes increased prices for awards. However, there were some changes that dropped the prices of select awards as I outlined here. One award price drop that I think is very useful for vacationing families is the price from the lower 48 to the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America.
Before the March 2016 changes, awards to the Caribbean, and islands I am eyeing like St. Kitts, were 17,500 American Airlines miles each way at the saver level except during the off-peak dates in the fall (hurricane season). Now awards are 15,000 miles each way at the saver level, and the off-peak prices of 12,500 miles each way include not only fall dates of September 7 – November 14, , but also spring travel dates of April 27 – May 20th.
We are strongly considering a trip in that date range to the new (hopefully open by then) Park Hyatt St. Kitts. In fact, this may very well be our first non-kids trip since Baby S was born, and since she will be almost two year old Toddler S by then, we will be MORE THAN READY for a few nights away. Not that long ago two AAdvantage saver awards from Houston to St. Kitts in the spring would have cost us a total 70,000 AAdvantage miles. Now those same award flights cost us just 50,000 total AAdvantage miles!
That is a tremendous deal, especially considering that cash prices to St. Kitts are likely $700+ each round trip. At 25,000 miles per round trip that is a very healthy 2.8 cents return per mile for an economy award. Actually it is even better than that since we will get 10% of our redeemed miles back thanks to having an eligible American co-branded credit card. That means our final cost will be just 45,000 miles for the two round trip tickets to (kid free?!) paradise!
There is no question that going this route is the best deal to get to an island like St. Kitts, and it is a perfect example of how even when many awards get more expensive during award chart changes, there are often some route gems that become an even better deal. It was not that long ago that I thought a fancy vacation somewhere like St. Kitts would be way out of my price range, but thanks to American Airlines miles and Hyatt points it may well be something that we can pull off without going broke in the process!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees