This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, United Airlines sent out very generous offers to some of its former top customers. MileagePlus members who once held top-tier status with the airline received offers for hundreds of thousands of bonus miles — a total of 315,000, in one case. Well, it looks like United’s at it again, except this time the carrier is offering miles to a much broader group, including current elite members who might be a bit behind on their spending for 2016. Click here to see if you’ve been targeted. You must register by November 15 and fly by November 30 in order to qualify.
For example, TPG Points and Miles Editor Sarah Silbert was targeted for a total of 54,000 bonus miles after “earning” $10,500 Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQDs) — I, however, didn’t receive any offer at all. Unfortunately only flights operated by United and United Express count, and even then, only PQDs earned on flights booked after registration will qualify for these targets. $10,500 (before taxes and fees) is a ton to spend and TPG values United miles at 1.5 cents each, so Sarah’s bonus offer isn’t exactly a no-brainer.
Play the video below to experience United’s 777-200 in 360 degrees. Click and drag within the video to explore the BusinessFirst cabin.
United is framing this promo as an opportunity to try the airline’s new and improved service offerings. While UA has a long ways to go, there’s no question that the airline is working to roll out improvements, as CEO Oscar Munoz recently outlined in a note to frequent flyers, and I experienced just yesterday on a 777-200 BusinessFirst flight to San Francisco (seen above in 360 degrees!).
Did you receive an offer from United?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards