This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As points and miles enthusiasts, one of the most frustrating parts of taking an Uber is that there’s no loyalty program. Amex customers can earn 2x points with some cards, select other credit cards (like Citi Premier Card and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card offer bonus points on travel, and the company has a VIP Program in New York City, but that doesn’t exactly reward loyal customers, instead just offering the ability to ride with top-rated drivers, (rare) exclusive offers and early access to promotions.
Fortunately, it looks like Uber’s loyalty program structure might be changing in the near future. The ridesharing company sent an email to Los Angeles riders earlier this week announcing that it would be testing out something along the lines of a loyalty program — good news for riders who use the service a lot.
Here’s how it’ll work: For every UberBlack ride, you’ll get 200 points, and when you’ve reached 3,000 points, you’ll get a $25 ride credit to use in the future. Essentially, for every 15 UberBlack rides, you’ll get one $25 credit — not the most amazing deal, but every little bit helps. Of course, UberBlack is Uber’s most expensive ride option, and there’s no sign if the company intends to expand this “loyalty program” to other classes of service, such as the ever-popular (and much less expensive) UberX.
This test promotion is only available to LA riders through July, though there’s no knowing if that’ll be extended or expanded to other markets or classes of service. LA riders have to opt-in to the program by entering the code LOYALUBERBLACK directly through the app. If you don’t yet have an Uber account, you can sign up now to receive a free ride (up to $20) from TPG.
Would a program like this make you want to request a pricier UberBlack?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.