TPGtv Episode 13: TPG in Vietnam Starts with an Epic Layover in London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
London’s one of my favorite cities but when I was planning my trip to Vietnam, I had the option to fly Vietnam Airlines via London or Paris and ended up choosing Paris. I wanted to fly Vietnam Airlines’ A350, but on the other hand, I had award availability through London. Considering I’d never done a trip on the Eurostar train from London to Paris, I figured it would be a great opportunity to cross that off my list.
My overnight stay in London was short and sweet, and I had an awesome time exploring some off-the-beaten-path hotspots with my friend Fletcher Cowan, a TV host and general man about town. Check out the places we went in the latest episode of TPGtv, below.
Staying at Starwood’s new Tribute collection property, the Great Northern Hotel, was an awesome way to kick off my London layover. Not only was the hotel located right by St. Pancras Station, where I would catch my Eurostar train to Paris, I was also able to score an elite upgrade from a Couchette room to a Cubitt room, named in honor of the hotel’s architect — elite upgrades are one of the things I’m worried about once the Marriott merger happens, so fingers crossed! Thanks to my Starwood Platinum Elite status, I was also able to snag free breakfast, which normally would have cost $40 per person.
When I stayed there last fall, the property was still a Category 5 hotel and rates were from $325 or 12,000 Starpoints for a one-night stay, a value of 2.7 cents per point. I always try to get at least 2.5 cents per point in value, so this was a pretty good deal at the time. Starwood usually updates and adjusts its hotel categories every year in March, so make sure to lock in this year’s rates before then for next year’s trips if you can. Rates at the now-Category 6 Great Northern Hotel start at about $215 or 20,000 Starpoints per night in May, so depending on your dates it may make more sense to pay cash than redeem points.
I had a great time spending the next day exploring the city’s sights and restaurants. Neil’s Yard Remedies, located nearby in London’s Covent Garden neighborhood, is awesome and I highly recommend a visit. Our trip to The Gin Journey was really fun, too. I’m a vodka drinker myself, but I learned a lot about gin from Leon Dalloway, otherwise known as @TheGinBoss. While I’m not officially converted, it was still a fun, quintessentially kind of London thing to do.
We grabbed some drinks at the Free Range People Café before enjoying a delicious dinner at Duck & Waffle. The food was great and we were able to enjoy amazing views of the city below from our perch on the 40th floor of Heron Tower. I made sure to pay with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card so I’d earn 2x the points on dining — it was nice not having to worry about racking up pesky foreign transactions fees, too.
Can’t wait to see what I’m working on next? Follow along with all my travel adventures on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat for a behind-the-scenes look at what’s coming up on TPGtv, and don’t forget to subscribe to The Points Guy on YouTube — you’ll be notified as soon as each new episode appears.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees