Customers in Asia will Soon Pay a Robot for Their Pizza
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The next time you walk into a pizzeria in Asia, a robot might be standing there to greet you — and take your order. Mastercard is working on bringing its MasterPass digital wallet software to Pepper, a robot designed by SoftBank and Aldebaran Robotics. Pepper is said to have the capability to understand and process human emotion, and will be able to use your transaction history to suggest items as well as provide other information, such as nutrition facts, to the customer. With MasterPass support, customers will be able to pay from their smartphone like they would at any other ‘smart’ card reader.
The promotional video released by Mastercard shows the diminutive — and admittedly adorable — Pepper taking a customer’s order and then accepting her payment. The robot ‘wears’ a tablet on its front side to display order information, nutrition facts and payment details. Customers at select Pizza Hut restaurants in Asia will be the first to interact with Pepper, which should begin popping up by late 2016. So far there is no timeline to bring Pepper to the US, but Mastercard has indicated that the robot is part of its plan to stay on the cutting edge of mobile payments through various connected devices.
How do you feel about ordering your food from a robot?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees