This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From today through May 31, 2016, you can get up to a 125% bonus when you purchase Avianca LifeMiles. Why would you want to do that? You can redeem LifeMiles for Lufthansa first class, at a fairly decent rate (more on that below).
As part of the promotion, you’ll receive a 100% bonus when you purchase between 2,000 and 50,000 miles, a 115% bonus when you purchase between 51,000 and 100,000 miles and a 125% bonus when you purchase between 101,000 and 150,000 miles. If you max out this promo, you’ll walk away with 337,000 miles for $4,950, or a cost of 1.47 cents each.
You can redeem LifeMiles for Lufthansa first class, and unlike with Aeroplan, there are no fuel surcharges — a first-class flight from New York to Europe will run you 87,000 miles plus about $50 in taxes and fees. If you’re just looking to book one flight, you can purchase 44,000 miles (88,000 with the bonus) for $1,452 and end up with enough for Lufthansa first, but if you’re buying 101,000 miles or more your net cost for this redemption will drop to $1,280.
It’s very important to note that while booking awards online is very simple, it can be excruciatingly difficult to do so over the phone. Be prepared for long hold times and lots of confusion if you need to change or redeposit an award.
Have you redeemed LifeMiles for Lufthansa first?
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.