TPGtv Episode 12: Spending My Birthday at the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Hyatt Credit Card
Costa Rica’s all about doing active things, so I couldn’t wait to spend my birthday soaking up the Costa Rican sun with some of my friends at the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort and checking out some of the area’s activities like zip-lining and horseback riding. Check out the latest episode of TPGtv below to see how it went!
The Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort is a category 4 property and one of best points-value hotels in Hyatt’s portfolio, since rates at the resort start at about $380 or just 15,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points per night in May. You can also earn two free nights after you spend $1,000 within the first three months of opening a Hyatt Credit Card account or get the points you need for a free stay by transferring your Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Hyatt Gold Passport.
I paid for my hotel stay, as per TPG policy, and booked a standard Andaz King room for $575 per night. However, I was also able to use one of my four Hyatt Diamond Suite Upgrades to get bumped up to an Andaz Suite, which would have cost me $250 more per night. My Diamond status was the result of an elite status match that was available for a limited time for Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum members — it usually takes 25 eligible stays or 50 nights to earn Diamond.
The beach there was kind of small and it’s much more of a pool resort, but within an hour or so you can do a lot of different activities — like zip-lining and horseback riding — and it’s just a great place to recharge. The food was amazing with the highlight being Ostra’s ceviche bar, which was out of this world, and they had this delicious octopus ceviche that we quickly became obsessed with.
It’s also pretty easy to get here from the US — you can catch year-round nonstop flights to Liberia International Airport (LIR) from Atlanta on Delta; Los Angeles on Alaska Airlines; New York (JFK) on JetBlue; Houston (IAH) on United Airlines; Miami on American Airlines; and Houston-Hobby (HOU) and Los Angeles on Southwest Airlines. You can also get added benefits when you book a trip to the resort through JetBlue Getaways, which allows you to bundle airfare with your hotel stay, car rentals and any excursions, all while earning TrueBlue points.
It was really fun visiting Costa Rica with some of my fellow travel bloggers and friends — like singer/songwriter Felippe Biatti, TPG Senior Points and Miles Contributor Jason Steele and Angelina Aucello of Angelina Travels — and I can’t wait to go back!
Can’t wait to see what I’m working on next? Follow along with all my travel adventures on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat for a behind-the-scenes look at what’s coming up on TPGtv, and don’t forget to subscribe to The Points Guy on YouTube — you’ll be notified as soon as each new episode appears.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees