Is My Companion Ticket Valid If I Cancel My Credit Card?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
TPG reader Steven sent me a message on Facebook to ask about companion fares:
“Will I lose my Travel Together Ticket from British Airways if I cancel my card, or does it stay with my Avios account?”
There are a number of rewards credit cards that offer airline companion tickets either as a standard benefit or as a reward for spending. Some of these companion fares are fairly easy to use, while others are more restrictive. Knowing the rules in advance will help you get the most out of them when you’re ready to redeem.
British Airways offers what’s known as the Travel Together Ticket, which you can earn after making $30,000 in purchases in a calendar year on the British Airways Visa Signature card. This companion fare allows you to book a second ticket in conjunction with a round-trip award flight from the US. While you won’t have to cover the normal Avios requirement for the second ticket, you’ll still have to pay taxes and fees for both passengers, which can add up quickly.
In order to redeem the Travel Together ticket, your card account must still be open and in good standing. The terms and conditions stipulate that only primary cardholders are eligible to receive this benefit, and that you must remain eligible for the promotion at the time of travel. I’ve heard from flyers whose vouchers remained active in their Executive Club accounts after their cards were canceled, but the official policy (which I’ve confirmed with my contacts at Chase) is that closing your account will nullify the Travel Together ticket. If your account is open, then the ticket remains valid for 24 months from the date of issue.
These rules are inconsistent with some other companion tickets. For example, the Alaska Airlines Companion Fare gets attached to your Mileage Plan account and is yours to redeem even if you’re no longer a cardholder. However, that ticket only lasts until your account anniversary, when you’ll receive a new ticket for the following year.
I’ve struggled to get good value out of the Travel Together Ticket in the past, since finding premium award availability can be difficult and it’s not worth using on economy flights. That said, the British Airways Visa is still worth considering, as the current sign-up bonus could earn you a total of 50,000 points.
You’ll get 50,000 Avios after spending $3,000 within the first three months of account opening. Despite the recent loss of low-level short-haul awards, you can get good value out of those points.
For more on the Travel Together Ticket and the British Airways Visa, check out these posts:
- Using the British Airways Visa Travel Together Ticket to Paris
- Can You Use the British Airways Companion Pass on Partner Airlines?
- Does the British Airways Visa Make Sense After the Devaluation?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees