This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Alaska Airlines suddenly raised award redemption prices for Emirates flights booked through its Mileage Plan program. The airline offered no notice but did provide a Q&A with additional information behind the change — including the chance to get a refund on purchased miles.
Here’s a look at the changes to first-class awards, effective March 30, 2016:
|North America To:||Old One-Way Award||New One-Way Award||% Increase|
Alaska Airlines later amended its FAQ, announcing that Mileage Plan members will be allowed a one-time change for Emirates award tickets that were booked prior to the change. To make the change, Alaska says to contact its customer care team. Typically, you’d have to pay Alaska’s $125 change fee (if your change or cancellation is made within 60 days of travel), but applicable passengers can have this fee waived. All changes thereafter will be ticketed at the new award level.
H/T: Travel Codex
Alaska miles are extremely valuable because you can book awards on partners like Emirates, Icelandair, Korean Air and Japan Airlines. The current bonus of 40,000 miles can book you a roundtrip ticket on Alaska Airlines from Boston to San Diego or New York to Seattle, for example.
- Now - 40,000 Bonus Mile + Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ Offer.
- Get 40,000 bonus miles and Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22) with this offer. To qualify, make purchases of $2,000 or more within the first 90 days of opening your account.
- Save with a free checked bag on Alaska flights for you and up to six other guests on the same reservation.
- Get Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ every year! Each year on your account anniversary get a companion fare from $121 ($99 plus taxes and fees from $22). Valid on all Alaska flights booked on alaskaair.com with no blackout dates.
- Earn unlimited 3 miles for every $1 spent on eligible Alaska Airlines purchases and unlimited 1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases. And, your miles don't expire on active accounts.
- New! Enjoy 50% off day passes at the Alaska Lounge and 20% back on all Alaska Airlines inflight purchases when you pay with your new card.
- Redeem miles with no blackout dates on any of Alaska's 1,200 daily flights or choose from over 900+ destinations with more than a dozen global airline partners. Plus, get exclusive access to discounted redemption levels when you redeem miles for hotel stays at over 400,000 properties using Alaska Airlines Hotels.
- Plus, no foreign transaction fees and a low $75 annual fee.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.