TPGtv Episode 8: Sandboarding in South Africa
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I don’t know about you, but I am not a fan of hotel gyms — I prefer to be active in other ways whenever I travel, whether that’s trekking through the mountains of Rwanda to see the gorillas or learning to box from the pros in Accra, Ghana. So when I heard about sandboarding — and that it was only an hour’s drive from where I was staying in Cape Town — I knew I had to try it. Watch Episode 8 of TPGtv, below, to see how it went.
I went with Kate O’Brien, TPG’s Director of Marketing, to a town called Atlantis in South Africa’s Western Cape for a day on the dunes with Sandboarding Cape Town. For just R600 (~$39) per person, we booked the Ultimate 4×4 Sandboarding package, which gave us 15–20 minutes of basic training (so we could learn how to stand on the board and get our balance), then 2.5–3 hours of sheer dune boarding delight — they even drove us back up to the top of the dunes each time so we could sandboard down again.
If you ever get the chance to try sandboarding, I highly recommend it. It’s actually a lot like snowboarding, only instead of wearing layers and snow pants, you’re dressed like you’re ready for a day at the beach. Despite a few sandy stumbles, I had the time of my life!
Can’t wait to see what I’m working on next? Follow along with all my travel adventures on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat for a behind-the-scenes look at what’s coming up on TPGtv, and don’t forget to subscribe to The Points Guy on YouTube — you’ll be notified as soon as each new episode appears.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards