This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I don’t know about you, but I am not a fan of hotel gyms — I prefer to be active in other ways whenever I travel, whether that’s trekking through the mountains of Rwanda to see the gorillas or learning to box from the pros in Accra, Ghana. So when I heard about sandboarding — and that it was only an hour’s drive from where I was staying in Cape Town — I knew I had to try it. Watch Episode 8 of TPGtv, below, to see how it went.
I went with Kate O’Brien, TPG’s Director of Marketing, to a town called Atlantis in South Africa’s Western Cape for a day on the dunes with Sandboarding Cape Town. For just R600 (~$39) per person, we booked the Ultimate 4×4 Sandboarding package, which gave us 15–20 minutes of basic training (so we could learn how to stand on the board and get our balance), then 2.5–3 hours of sheer dune boarding delight — they even drove us back up to the top of the dunes each time so we could sandboard down again.
If you ever get the chance to try sandboarding, I highly recommend it. It’s actually a lot like snowboarding, only instead of wearing layers and snow pants, you’re dressed like you’re ready for a day at the beach. Despite a few sandy stumbles, I had the time of my life!
Can’t wait to see what I’m working on next? Follow along with all my travel adventures on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat for a behind-the-scenes look at what’s coming up on TPGtv, and don’t forget to subscribe to The Points Guy on YouTube — you’ll be notified as soon as each new episode appears.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.