This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Public transportation is king in New York City, where traffic congestion can add many minutes or even hours to a trip. Fortunately, New Yorkers might soon have yet another option for getting from A to B. Plans to expand service along the city’s East River and other waterways would bring transit ferry service across the five boroughs, including to far-flung neighborhoods like the Rockaways in Queens — and all for $2.75, the same price as a subway or bus ride.
The new changes would drop the price citywide. NYC already has water transit service, including the existing East River Ferry, which serves parts of Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens. However, the ferry currently costs $4 per ride on weekdays and $6 on weekends. The city’s planned expansion would have ferries operating from 21 landings across NYC by 2018 and the fleet will even be equipped with Wi-Fi.
In addition to helping locals get around, ferries are a great way for tourists to explore New York City as well. At present, the East River Ferry has stops delivering passengers to the Financial District, Downtown Brooklyn, Midtown and other hot spots.
If you’re planning to take a NYC ferry, keep in mind that some credit cards also offer a bonus on transportation costs, such as Citi Premier Card and the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. The Chase Freedom card also currently offers a bonus of 5x the points on local transit costs through the end of the month.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.