Do Charges Offset by Credits Count Toward a Sign-Up Bonus?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Prestige Card
TPG reader Colin sent me a message on Facebook to ask about earning a sign-up bonus:
“I recently got the Citi Prestige card, and want to redeem the $250 statement credit on airfare. Will the full purchase amount count toward earning the sign-up bonus, or do I have to meet the minimum spending requirement on top of any credit I receive?”
Rewards credit cards offer statement credits for a wide variety of charges, ranging from baggage fees and Global Entry applications to Gogo Wi-Fi passes and new cell phones. The Citi Prestige Card offers one of the most valuable and versatile of these benefits: a $250 Air Travel Credit that you can redeem for just about any airline purchase, including airfare.
Colin is planning to redeem his statement credit soon, but he wants to make sure it won’t count against him as he tries to earn the sign-up bonus. It’s always a good idea to verify the terms and conditions of a bonus offer, since you don’t want to make the mistake of not spending enough and miss out entirely. While there are some charges that don’t count toward the minimum spending requirement, Colin has nothing to worry about in this case.
Citi Prestige currently offers a sign-up bonus of 50,000 ThankYou points after you make $3,000 in purchases within three months of opening your account. The landing page clearly specifies that balance transfers don’t qualify as purchases, and neither do cash advances, annual fees or items that are later refunded. However, statement credits aren’t mentioned. Airfare is clearly a legitimate purchase, and getting the charges offset by the Air Travel Credit has no bearing on that. Ultimately, what matters is the total amount you spend, not the net amount you owe the card issuer.
The answer should be the same for all rewards cards — I’m not aware of any that factor statement credits on qualifying purchases into the minimum spending requirement. That makes it easier to earn sign-up bonuses, since your total expense is effectively reduced by any credits you receive.
For further info on statement credits, Citi Prestige benefits and sign-up bonus offers, check out these posts:
- Maximizing Benefits with the Citi Prestige Card in 2016
- Top Cards That Offer Credit for Airline Incidentals
- Do Authorized User Purchases Count toward Credit Card Bonuses?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.