This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Citi Forward card, which can no longer be obtained, is pretty unique compared to other rewards card options. For starters, it awards 5 Citi ThankYou points per dollar spent on restaurants, music, movies and books — and up until recently, the 5x bonus also applied to Amazon purchases, so earning potential was quite high compared to the normal rate you’d see with other cards.
Unfortunately, Citi is changing the Forward card’s category bonus benefits on June 4, dropping earnings to just 2 points per dollar spent on restaurants, music, movies and books. The good news is the card’s other benefits will remain unchanged (including the ability to earn 100 bonus points each month you pay at least your minimum payment and stay within your credit limit), and the card’s former 5-year expiration policy won’t apply to points earned on or after June 4, 2016.
While the Citi Forward card is no longer available, the Citi Premier Card and Citi Prestige let you earn 2 points per dollar spent on restaurants and entertainment spending as well, including sporting events, movie theaters, record stores and more. Still, since the Forward card doesn’t carry an annual fee, if you already have one you might as well hold onto it, as closing a card that you’ve had for several years will likely impact your credit score.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.