Citi Forward Devaluation Coming This June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Citi Forward card, which can no longer be obtained, is pretty unique compared to other rewards card options. For starters, it awards 5 Citi ThankYou points per dollar spent on restaurants, music, movies and books — and up until recently, the 5x bonus also applied to Amazon purchases, so earning potential was quite high compared to the normal rate you’d see with other cards.
Unfortunately, Citi is changing the Forward card’s category bonus benefits on June 4, dropping earnings to just 2 points per dollar spent on restaurants, music, movies and books. The good news is the card’s other benefits will remain unchanged (including the ability to earn 100 bonus points each month you pay at least your minimum payment and stay within your credit limit), and the card’s former 5-year expiration policy won’t apply to points earned on or after June 4, 2016.
While the Citi Forward card is no longer available, the Citi Premier Card and Citi Prestige let you earn 2 points per dollar spent on restaurants and entertainment spending as well, including sporting events, movie theaters, record stores and more. Still, since the Forward card doesn’t carry an annual fee, if you already have one you might as well hold onto it, as closing a card that you’ve had for several years will likely impact your credit score.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees