This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Citi Forward card, which can no longer be obtained, is pretty unique compared to other rewards card options. For starters, it awards 5 Citi ThankYou points per dollar spent on restaurants, music, movies and books — and up until recently, the 5x bonus also applied to Amazon purchases, so earning potential was quite high compared to the normal rate you’d see with other cards.
Unfortunately, Citi is changing the Forward card’s category bonus benefits on June 4, dropping earnings to just 2 points per dollar spent on restaurants, music, movies and books. The good news is the card’s other benefits will remain unchanged (including the ability to earn 100 bonus points each month you pay at least your minimum payment and stay within your credit limit), and the card’s former 5-year expiration policy won’t apply to points earned on or after June 4, 2016.
While the Citi Forward card is no longer available, the Citi Premier Card and Citi Prestige let you earn 2 points per dollar spent on restaurants and entertainment spending as well, including sporting events, movie theaters, record stores and more. Still, since the Forward card doesn’t carry an annual fee, if you already have one you might as well hold onto it, as closing a card that you’ve had for several years will likely impact your credit score.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.