This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN, The Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card from American Express
Using your The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN card for big purchases just got a lot more valuable. For a limited time, using this card will net you 50% more points on transactions of $5,000 or more, such as a new car or even a $170 million painting. Obviously most people won’t be using this perk too often, but it’s a fantastic chance to boost your earnings if you’re making a large purchase. For smaller items, you could also use the Amex Everyday Preferred card, which offers a similar bonus if you make 30 or more purchases on the card within a billing period. Note that this promotion offer was sent via email, so it’s possible that this is a targeted opportunity.
We already value Amex Membership Rewards points at 1.9 cents per point, so with this bonus you’re getting even better value. The current offer will be available through the end of April, so there’s plenty of time to plan for purchases, although you can only earn a total of 50,000 additional points.
The Points Guy Assessment:
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great pick for the beginner and the frequent traveler. The CSP has superb travel benefits, double points on certain purchases, and a 50,000 point sign up bonus. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year so this puts it as one of the less expensive cards, while still allowing you to earn one of the most valuable point currencies.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards