Costco’s Switch from Amex to Visa Delayed Until Summer 2016
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Costco announced it was cutting ties with American Express and signing an exclusive agreement with Citi to provide co-branded Visa credit cards for customers beginning April 1, 2016. Now that roll out has been pushed back until “early summer” because the transition has taken longer than expected.
Costco announced it was cutting its 16-year ties with Amex last year because of a tense relationship between the two companies, a big deal considering that 10% of the 112 million Amex cards are co-branded with Costco. Now because of the delay, the relationship between Amex and Costco will be extended until the Citi transfer takes place.
Once the transition to Visa is complete, the TrueEarnings Card from Costco and American Express will cease to exist and current cardholders will receive a new Costco Citi Visa. The transition has been delayed until June (or midsummer) while the exact details of the new Citi Visa card haven’t yet been released. However, once the transition is complete, all Visa credit cards — not just the co-branded Citi card — will be accepted at all Costco stores in the US.
The current card offers 3% cash back at US gas stations up to $4,000 per year, an annual reward coupon redeemable for cash or merchandise at Costco and also acts as a Costco membership card.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees