Costco’s Switch from Amex to Visa Delayed Until Summer 2016
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Costco announced it was cutting ties with American Express and signing an exclusive agreement with Citi to provide co-branded Visa credit cards for customers beginning April 1, 2016. Now that roll out has been pushed back until “early summer” because the transition has taken longer than expected.
Costco announced it was cutting its 16-year ties with Amex last year because of a tense relationship between the two companies, a big deal considering that 10% of the 112 million Amex cards are co-branded with Costco. Now because of the delay, the relationship between Amex and Costco will be extended until the Citi transfer takes place.
Once the transition to Visa is complete, the TrueEarnings Card from Costco and American Express will cease to exist and current cardholders will receive a new Costco Citi Visa. The transition has been delayed until June (or midsummer) while the exact details of the new Citi Visa card haven’t yet been released. However, once the transition is complete, all Visa credit cards — not just the co-branded Citi card — will be accepted at all Costco stores in the US.
The current card offers 3% cash back at US gas stations up to $4,000 per year, an annual reward coupon redeemable for cash or merchandise at Costco and also acts as a Costco membership card.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.