Change in Terms of Hyatt Credit Card Offer?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Based on a comment below it is possible this is not actually a new term, but potentially something that has always been there, just not enforced. I can’t say with 100% certainty, but either way it is worth noting as anything that is being done in practice beyond what is required per the terms is always subject to change without notice.
In light of many of us scrambling to determine which Chase credit cards, if any, to add to our wallets before it quite possibly gets much harder to get approved, I just received a very interesting question/comment related to the Hyatt Credit Card.
I have previously pointed out that the best use of the Hyatt sign-up bonus award nights may be to use them at the all-inclusive properties, especially for families of three or four looking to stay at the Ziva properties. For example, for a family with two adults and two children, the points price per night at the Hyatt Ziva in Cancun would be 50,000 points per night – more than any other Hyatt in the system since the third and fourth person are an additional 12,500 points each (for children, ages 3 and up).
However, the two award credit card sign-up bonus nights would cover all four people in one room with any additional charges for the third and fourth occupant, so they offered a tremendous value for families looking to visit the all-inclusive properties. In fact, this is exactly how I used my Hyatt credit card award nights. But, that party may be over…
As was pointed out to me by Mommy Points reader, Bob, the terms and conditions for the Hyatt Credit Card now read (bolding mine):
Each Free Night Award is valid for use within one year from issuance for one (1) night in any available standard room at any Hyatt Hotel or Resort worldwide or participating M life resorts. Free Night Awards at Hyatt Zilara and Hyatt Ziva are based on single or double occupancy only.
I’m almost certain that reflects a recent change in terms, and certainly would be a change in practice since Hyatt had previously confirmed to me that you can use your sign-up bonus nights up to the max capacity of the room at the all-inclusive properties. I have reached out to Hyatt to see what the options will be going forward for families wishing to use their sign-up bonus award nights at the Ziva properties, if there are any options. I’ll update when I receive a response. In the meantime, just be aware of these terms in case you were planning to get the Hyatt Credit Card with the intent to use them for a family all-inclusive vacation beyond double occupancy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.