British Airways Announces Service Between London and Tehran
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Last month, international sanctions were lifted on Iran, effectively opening its borders to new waves of tourism. As a result, British Airways is relaunching its route between London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) and Iran’s capital city, Tehran (IKA), beginning this July with six flights per week.
British Airways will operate the route on its four-class Boeing 777 aircraft, which has 14 first class open suites, 56 flat-bed Club World seats, 44 World Traveller Plus seats and 185 standard World Traveller seats. Although the service is starting on July 14 with six flights per week, the carrier is moving to daily service starting winter 2016.
The airline offered nonstop service between the two cities in the past starting in 1946, but ended the three-times-per-week route in October 2012 because of a combination of commercial and political reasons. British Airways isn’t the first airline to relaunch service to Iran’s capital — last year, Air France announced it would resume its service between Paris and Tehran in April with three weekly flights.
With increased travel opportunities becoming available to the Middle Eastern country, there are plenty of reasons to visit Iran, from the historical sites to the culture and food scenes. London to Tehran is just one of 14 new routes British Airways will be launching this year, with other locations such as San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO), Lima, Peru (LIM) and San Jose, California (SJC) in the pipeline. If you’re a cardholder of the British Airways Visa Signature Card, you can get 10% off your total ticket price.
Will you take advantage of BA’s new route to Tehran?
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.