This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, international sanctions were lifted on Iran, effectively opening its borders to new waves of tourism. As a result, British Airways is relaunching its route between London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) and Iran’s capital city, Tehran (IKA), beginning this July with six flights per week.
British Airways will operate the route on its four-class Boeing 777 aircraft, which has 14 first class open suites, 56 flat-bed Club World seats, 44 World Traveller Plus seats and 185 standard World Traveller seats. Although the service is starting on July 14 with six flights per week, the carrier is moving to daily service starting winter 2016.
The airline offered nonstop service between the two cities in the past starting in 1946, but ended the three-times-per-week route in October 2012 because of a combination of commercial and political reasons. British Airways isn’t the first airline to relaunch service to Iran’s capital — last year, Air France announced it would resume its service between Paris and Tehran in April with three weekly flights.
With increased travel opportunities becoming available to the Middle Eastern country, there are plenty of reasons to visit Iran, from the historical sites to the culture and food scenes. London to Tehran is just one of 14 new routes British Airways will be launching this year, with other locations such as San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO), Lima, Peru (LIM) and San Jose, California (SJC) in the pipeline. If you’re a cardholder of the British Airways Visa Signature Card, you can get 10% off your total ticket price.
Will you take advantage of BA’s new route to Tehran?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees