This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, international sanctions were lifted on Iran, effectively opening its borders to new waves of tourism. As a result, British Airways is relaunching its route between London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) and Iran’s capital city, Tehran (IKA), beginning this July with six flights per week.
British Airways will operate the route on its four-class Boeing 777 aircraft, which has 14 first class open suites, 56 flat-bed Club World seats, 44 World Traveller Plus seats and 185 standard World Traveller seats. Although the service is starting on July 14 with six flights per week, the carrier is moving to daily service starting winter 2016.
The airline offered nonstop service between the two cities in the past starting in 1946, but ended the three-times-per-week route in October 2012 because of a combination of commercial and political reasons. British Airways isn’t the first airline to relaunch service to Iran’s capital — last year, Air France announced it would resume its service between Paris and Tehran in April with three weekly flights.
With increased travel opportunities becoming available to the Middle Eastern country, there are plenty of reasons to visit Iran, from the historical sites to the culture and food scenes. London to Tehran is just one of 14 new routes British Airways will be launching this year, with other locations such as San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO), Lima, Peru (LIM) and San Jose, California (SJC) in the pipeline. If you’re a cardholder of the British Airways Visa Signature Card, you can get 10% off your total ticket price.
Will you take advantage of BA’s new route to Tehran?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards