British Airways Announces Service Between London and Tehran
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Last month, international sanctions were lifted on Iran, effectively opening its borders to new waves of tourism. As a result, British Airways is relaunching its route between London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) and Iran’s capital city, Tehran (IKA), beginning this July with six flights per week.
British Airways will operate the route on its four-class Boeing 777 aircraft, which has 14 first class open suites, 56 flat-bed Club World seats, 44 World Traveller Plus seats and 185 standard World Traveller seats. Although the service is starting on July 14 with six flights per week, the carrier is moving to daily service starting winter 2016.
The airline offered nonstop service between the two cities in the past starting in 1946, but ended the three-times-per-week route in October 2012 because of a combination of commercial and political reasons. British Airways isn’t the first airline to relaunch service to Iran’s capital — last year, Air France announced it would resume its service between Paris and Tehran in April with three weekly flights.
With increased travel opportunities becoming available to the Middle Eastern country, there are plenty of reasons to visit Iran, from the historical sites to the culture and food scenes. London to Tehran is just one of 14 new routes British Airways will be launching this year, with other locations such as San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO), Lima, Peru (LIM) and San Jose, California (SJC) in the pipeline. If you’re a cardholder of the British Airways Visa Signature Card, you can get 10% off your total ticket price.
Will you take advantage of BA’s new route to Tehran?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees