This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What’s better than earning status? Getting it for free. And American has been offering lots of travelers free status recently. Last week, American sent email and mail invitations to certain AAdvantage members inviting them to try out status through May 31, 2016 — with a free challenge to keep this status through February 2017.
Yesterday, some Hilton elites received a similar offer. American Airlines is offering targeted, complimentary American Airlines Gold or Platinum status through June 17th.
- The terms state that this is an “exclusive offer only for members who receive this email directly from Hilton.” So, check your email inbox first to see if you were targeted.
- Register by 11:59pm CDT on February 25th.
- To keep the status through January 2018, you must earn 7,000 Elite-Qualifying Miles (EQMs) between March 7 and June 17.
If you didn’t get the targeted email, you can try your luck registering for the Gold status promotion using this link. After all, it’s worth a minute to check if you can get status which we value at $1,155!
I currently have Hilton HHonors Silver status and didn’t receive the invitation email. Even though I already have American Airlines Gold status, I tried to register for this promotion, but ended up with a friendly error. (It even says “FriendlyError” in the url!)
Promotions like this can be a bummer for existing lower-tier elites — such as myself — as it creates more competition for Main Cabin Extra seats and domestic upgrades, but it’s a good opportunity for American to introduce its product to a larger group of business travelers.
If you were one of the Hilton elites targeted to get free American Airlines status, certainly jump on the chance! Then, take advantage of a flight deal — like this to one China — to keep this status through January 2018. In addition to the other perks of status, you’ll earn 25% (Gold) to 100% (Platinum) bonus American Airlines miles thanks to this free offer!
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards