This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi ThankYou Premier Card
This week, Citi announced that eGift cards will now be available for purchase through ThankYou.com, in addition to the physical gift cards that have been offered for years. Emails were sent to ThankYou Rewards members introducing the new redemption option, and several dozen eGift cards already appear on the site. Not all gift cards can be delivered electronically, but a number of popular retailers are currently available, including Target, The Home Depot, Best Buy and Staples.
This is good news for anyone who uses rewards to cover retail purchases, since you’ll only have to wait a few minutes (instead of weeks) for gift cards to be delivered. While there are certainly more valuable ways to redeem ThankYou Points, Citi offers a fairly consistent redemption value of 1 cent per point toward gift cards (including these new eGift cards), which is better than the return you’ll get by redeeming for merchandise directly. You can earn ThankYou Points with a variety of cards, including Citi Prestige and Citi ThankYou Premier.
Citi used to offer eGift cards to Amazon.com before adding the Shop with Points feature several years ago. This broader rollout of electronic delivery options shows that Citi is continuing to make improvements to the ThankYou Rewards program. While eGift cards are a modest benefit compared to new airline partners and transfer bonuses, it’s worth noting that Ultimate Rewards only offers physical gift cards at present.
Once again, gift cards aren’t a strong redemption option, but if you need to make a purchase and you’re short on cash, Citi’s electronic gift cards can help you act quickly when you find a good price.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees