Citi ThankYou Rewards Adds eGift Cards to Redemption Options
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier Card
This week, Citi announced that eGift cards will now be available for purchase through ThankYou.com, in addition to the physical gift cards that have been offered for years. Emails were sent to ThankYou Rewards members introducing the new redemption option, and several dozen eGift cards already appear on the site. Not all gift cards can be delivered electronically, but a number of popular retailers are currently available, including Target, The Home Depot, Best Buy and Staples.
This is good news for anyone who uses rewards to cover retail purchases, since you’ll only have to wait a few minutes (instead of weeks) for gift cards to be delivered. While there are certainly more valuable ways to redeem ThankYou Points, Citi offers a fairly consistent redemption value of 1 cent per point toward gift cards (including these new eGift cards), which is better than the return you’ll get by redeeming for merchandise directly. You can earn ThankYou Points with a variety of cards, including Citi Prestige and Citi Premier.
Citi used to offer eGift cards to Amazon.com before adding the Shop with Points feature several years ago. This broader rollout of electronic delivery options shows that Citi is continuing to make improvements to the ThankYou Rewards program. While eGift cards are a modest benefit compared to new airline partners and transfer bonuses, it’s worth noting that Ultimate Rewards only offers physical gift cards at present.
Once again, gift cards aren’t a strong redemption option, but if you need to make a purchase and you’re short on cash, Citi’s electronic gift cards can help you act quickly when you find a good price.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.