This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s making it a bit easier to earn and burn your miles this week with the introduction of the Miles Shop — a pop-up store located at Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR). Travelers will be able to redeem miles for purchases — or earn a bonus when using other methods of payment. The store, which is located in Terminal C, is currently open and will remain available through the holiday travel season. It joins some existing food and beverage vendors in the airport that already allow travelers to redeem miles for food.
If you’re paying a normal way — that is to say with cash or credit card — you’ll earn 5 United miles per dollar spent. The store will have a variety of items for purchase, ranging from power adapters to clothing. If you’re redeeming your miles (which might not be their most valuable use) — you’ll have a selection of items ranging in “price” from 600 miles to 50,000 miles. You can also earn additional United miles for using your United MileagePlus Explorer Card for purchases.
Overall, it’s unlikely that you’re going to get a great deal redeeming miles for merchandise. However, this might be worth a stop if you’re passing through Newark and looking for a chance to earn a few extra miles — assuming that the prices aren’t higher than what’d you’d pay elsewhere. Regardless of where you’ll be buying your holiday gifts, don’t forget to use one of these cards to maximize your purchase protections and rewards.
The United Explorer card recently got some enhancements like 2 miles per dollar spent at restaurants and on hotel stays and a $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check Fee credit. The $95 annual fee is waived for the first year.
- Limited time offer! Earn up to 65,000 Bonus Miles.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and on hotel stays
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit
- 25% back on United inflight purchases
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $120 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on purchases from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases