Buy Iberia Avios for Just 1.05 Cents Each
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Groupon.es is currently selling Iberia Avios at incredible rates. There are four different options available:
- 2,000 Avios for 19 euros (~$21; 1.05 cents apiece)
- 4,000 Avios for 49 euros (~$53, 1.35 cents apiece)
- 8,000 Avios for 99 euros (~$108, 1.35 cents apiece)
- 12,000 Avios for 149 euros (~$162, 1.35 cents apiece)
- Purchase by December 23 (6pm Eastern Time)
- Limited to only one purchase of the 2,000 Avios option
- Limited to five purchases each of 4,000; 8,000; and 12,000 Avios options
- Limited to 60,000 total purchased Avios
- There may be a maximum number of each sold, so purchase quickly!
Use the Iberia Portal to Boost Your Purchase
Steps to Maximize This Deal
- If you don’t have an Iberia Plus account, register online.
- Sign in to your Iberia Plus account.
- Navigate to the IberiaPluStore. Note that this site has been experiencing technical difficulties recently.
- Click the Groupon link in the bottom-right “Most Popular” window.
- There should be a banner at the top of the homepage for this offer. I can’t find a way to search for it otherwise.
- Choose the packages that you want to purchase. Maximize the deal by selecting 5x 4,000 Avios and 5x 8,000 Avios packages for 740 euros (~$804).
- Use a card that doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee.
- Complete your purchase.
- Redeem your Groupon voucher(s) before January 10th.
- Check back in a week to confirm your IberiaPluStore bonus Avios posted.
Transferring to British Airways Avios
On the fence about purchasing? After all, you might be wondering what you’d do with all of these Iberia Avios.
If you value British Airways Avios highly — TPG pegs them at 1.6 cents each — you might be interested in transferring your purchased Iberia Avios to British Airways Avios.
Good news: You can easily transfer Avios 1:1 between Iberia and British Airways, but there are some limitations. Both of your accounts — British Airways’ Executive Club and Iberia’s Iberia Plus — must have been open for at least 90 days. So, if you just opened an Iberia Plus account — as I did for this promotion — you’ll need to wait 90 days to transfer IB Avios to BA Avios.
In the meantime, you’ll need to find a way to generate activity on your British Airways account. I’m planning on creating this activity by making a purchase on my British Airways Visa Signature Card in the next few days. Then, there are about 85 days left, which will be more than enough for the Chase statement to close and for Chase to transfer miles to British Airways.
Other Uses of Iberia Avios:
Similar to British Airways’ Avios, Iberia Avios are redeemed based on a distance-based chart and have peak and off-peak dates. Redemptions depend on which airline you’re flying, with Iberia flights costing the fewest miles.
One of the advantages of keeping your purchased Iberia Avios rather than transferring them to British Airways Avios is reduced fuel surcharges on award flights.
For example, take New York (JFK) to Madrid (MAD). Booking with Iberia Avios, you can fly in “Blue” economy — which just means no changes are allowed without a fee — for 34,000 Iberia Avios + $179.49 cash round-trip.
The exact same flight purchased through British Airways would cost 34,000 British Airways Avios + $588 cash round-trip. So, you save over $400 in fuel surcharges by booking with Iberia Avios.
This is an incredible deal; you can purchase Iberia Avios — which you can transfer to British Airways Avios with a few steps — for as little as 0.9 cents apiece after the portal bonus.
Or, you can maximize the deal by purchasing 60,000 Avios for just 740 euros (~$804). After the portal bonus of 11,840 Avios, you’re effectively purchasing Avios for just 1.12 cents each.
Welcome to The Points Guy!