This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is currently offering a new transfer bonus for Membership Rewards. Now through December 21, if you have a card like the Amex Premier Rewards Gold or Amex Platinum that earns Membership Rewards, you’ll be able to transfer points to Hawaiian Airlines with a 25% bonus.
Throughout the year, Amex has offered some other perks for transferring to partners, such as Elevate Gold for Virgin America, and a 25% bonus to Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club. Unless you’re a frequent Hawaiian flyer, it’s unlikely you have too many miles with the airline already — and redeeming award flights to Hawaii is getting harder with partners — so this could be a great opportunity to redeem for a trip to Hawaii.
With this promotion, you can transfer points in 1,000-point increments. For every 1,000 points you transfer, you’ll receive 1,250 Hawaiian miles. Note also that American Express charges a tax of 60 cents per 1,000 points transferred to Hawaiian.
Hawaiian prices round-trip economy awards starting at 15,000 miles for intra-island flights or 40,000 miles for flights to Hawaii from North America. Round-trip first-class flights are priced from 30,000 miles for travel within Hawaii, or 80,000 miles for travel from the mainland. While intra-island flights are usually relatively inexpensive, flights from the East Coast to Hawaii can be quite pricey, making award redemptions a bit more appealing.
For example, here’s a sample round-trip flight from Honolulu (HNL) to Maui (OGG):
And here’s a round-trip economy flight from New York (JFK) to Honolulu (HNL):
Is it worth it?
TPG currently values Membership Rewards points at 1.9 cents apiece. Looking at economy awards only (before taking taxes and fees into account), a 15,000-mile intra-island flight would normally require $285 worth of Amex points, while a 40,000-mile mainland flight would require $760 worth of points. With the 25% bonus, the value of the points required for those awards drops to $228 and $608, respectively. Also, keep in mind that you won’t earn miles on award flights.
If you’re interested in booking a flight in first class, you can get quite a bit more value. New York to Honolulu in first costs about $3,000 (although exact prices can fluctuate quite a bit). At $3,000, you’d be getting 3.8 cents per mile in value — and that value increases as the ticket prices approach $4,000 or $5,000. Of course, first-class award seats can be difficult to come by on premium routes, so be sure to check availability before transferring Amex points, as transfers are irreversible.
Ultimately, Hawaiian miles aren’t super useful if you’re not based in Hawaii. The airline has a limited reach and isn’t part of alliance so redeeming points with other airlines might be a bit tricky. With that said, flights to and from Hawaii can get quite expensive, and this 25% bonus makes the transfer much more valuable — and worth considering if you have a particular redemption in mind. If not, you should probably keep your points with Amex.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That's up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees