Do I Keep My Rewards When I Close a Credit Card Account?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – View the current offers here
TPG reader Steven sent me a message on Facebook to ask about holding on to credit card rewards:
“If I cancel my Delta card, will I get to keep the miles I’ve earned?”
Earning points and miles is fun, but the whole point of earning them is to use them, so it’s natural to be wary of anything that might put your rewards at risk. This is one of the most common questions I get, probably because credit card issuers themselves offer mixed signals. The short answer is that you usually get to keep your rewards after canceling a card, but there are some important exceptions.
The points and miles you earn from an airline, hotel or other co-branded card are generally safe even if you close your credit account. For example, rewards from the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express are ultimately administered by Delta, and your relationship with Amex generally doesn’t come into play. Once the miles are in your SkyMiles account, they’re yours (though card issuers may claw back rewards earned from purchases that are later returned or refunded).
The story is different for rewards from credit card loyalty programs, such as Chase Ultimate Rewards points or Barclaycard Arrival miles. Those rewards can be forfeited if you cancel your card, so it’s important to transfer or redeem them before closing your account. In some cases, you can simply transfer those points to a different account in the same program. For example, you can combine points from the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and Ink Plus Business Card; just make sure to do it before you close the account in question.
A lot of people get confused about this because credit card phone reps routinely suggest that closing your account will put your rewards in jeopardy, even for co-branded cards. What they may mean is that points earned that haven’t yet appeared in your frequent-flyer or hotel account may be lost. Also, canceling your card could lead to an extended period of inactivity in your loyalty account (because you’re no longer earning on the card), and that could cause your points or miles to expire. However, that’s an indirect result — canceling the card itself is not the issue, and there are plenty of other ways to keep rewards from expiring.
For more on protecting your credit card rewards, check out these posts:
- Ten Commandments for Travel Rewards Credit Cards
- 8 Questions (and Answers) about Travel Rewards Cards
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees