This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Shopping portals can provide a great way to earn extra miles — if you’re making online purchases, there’s no reason not to double-dip by going through one to boost your earning rate. Earning rates through these portals are known to change pretty much constantly, and American’s portal is now offering some limited-time elevated earning rates for a variety of business and office-supply merchants.
From today, November 5, to Wednesday November 11, you can take advantage of increased AAdvantage miles-earning rates with a handful of business-related vendors. Note that the elevated earning level for each merchant will be available for 3-4 days during this period. The first batch will be available from November 5 to 11:59pm ET on November 8, while the second group is available from November 9 to 11:59pm ET on November 11.
Click here to take advantage of these promotional earning rates.
|Merchant||Regular Earning Rate||Promotional Earning Rate||Offer Dates|
|4inkjets||12 miles/$||16 miles/$||11/5 – 11/8|
|Grainger||2 miles/$||6 miles/$||11/5 – 11/8|
|Vistaprint||3 miles/$||6 miles/$||11/5 – 11/8|
|Office Depot||2 miles/$||5 miles/$||11/5 – 11/8|
|123inkjets||12 miles/$||16 miles/$||11/9 – 11/11|
|FedEx Office||3 miles/$||6 miles/$||11/9 – 11/11|
|quill.com||2 miles/$||4 miles/$||11/9 – 11/11|
|Dell Small Business||2 miles/$||4 miles/$||11/9 – 11/11|
|Newegg||1 miles/$||4 miles/$||11/5 – 11/8|
|AT&T Uverse||4,300 miles||5,000 miles||11/9 – 11/11|
According to TPG’s latest valuations, American AAdvantage miles are worth 1.7 cents apiece. With the highest earning rate offered through this promotion — 16 miles per dollar through vendor 4 Inkjets — you’d net about 27 cents per dollar. If you’re a small business owner in need of some new office supplies and you have a particular award redemption on American or a partner airline in mind, this could be a good opportunity to stock up.
Also, keep in mind that you can “double dip” by taking advantage of credit card category bonuses. For example, if you pay for an Office Depot purchase with a Chase Ink Plus card, you’ll earn 5 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar in addition to the 5 miles you’ll earn per dollar as part of this promotion. Considering that TPG values Ultimate Rewards points at 2.1 cents each, you’re essentially getting a 10.5 cents-per-dollar return in addition to the 8.5 cents you’ll get through the portal for a total of 19 cents worth of points for each dollar you spend. Not too shabby!
Ultimately, the timing here couldn’t be better — it’s a great way to hit year-end spend for your business while earning lots of extra miles in the process. You can invest in 2016 supplies now but have the expenses hit your 2015 bottom line!
LIMITED TIME OFFER: Earn 60,000 miles after $3,000 spent within the first 3 months. The sign-up offer alone is worth up to $840. If you're a frequent American flyer but don't have status, additional perks that come with this card like first free checked bag on domestic AA itineraries, preferred boarding on American flights can be extremely valuable.
- For a limited time, earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- New: Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*