Amex Increases Purchase Protection for Premier Rewards Gold
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Amex’s purchase protection is one of its best card benefits. While lounge access or an annual airline credit might be a nice perk, purchase protection can be a huge benefit if things go awry. Beginning this Sunday, Amex is upping the Premier Rewards Gold card’s protection tenfold — increasing it from $1,000 to $10,000 per occurrence (warning: PDF link).
Although there are a few exceptions to the eligible claims, the program still covers many types of purchases. If you have an eligible item that has been damaged, lost or stolen, simply visit www.AmericanExpress.com/onlineclaim or call 1-800-297-8019 within 90 days of your original purchase to get the coverage process started. Note, however, that the new coverage will only apply to purchases made on or after November 15. Purchases made before Sunday will only be covered up to $1,000 per occurrence.
The Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express isn’t the only Amex card that offers this service — The Platinum Card® from American Express and Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express already have the $10,000 coverage limit, while the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express has a $1,000 protection policy. Keep in mind that these limits are per occurrence, although the cards do have a maximum payout for each calendar year. If you’re planning to charge a large purchase to your Premier Rewards Gold card and your item is covered, it may make sense to wait until Sunday to complete the transaction.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees