Earn 10x Points on Amazon Purchases With Chase Freedom
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: The 10x bonus offer on Amazon purchases with the Chase Freedom card is no longer available.
The Chase Freedom card is the gift that keeps on giving this fall. Earlier this year, Chase announced that it would be offering its usual Q4 discount with Amazon (as well as several other online retailers), giving cardholders 5% cash back (or 5x Ultimate Rewards points) on purchases through the website through the end of December. Moreover, with all of Amazon’s products and services, there are some creative ways to maximize the offer. One great way we found is to order groceries (and other products) using Amazon’s same-day delivery service Prime Now to earn the bonus on purchases that would otherwise earn the standard 1% back.
From November 23 until the end of the year, however, Freedom cardholders can earn 10% cash back on all purchases through Amazon with the card. Keep in mind that you need to register on Chase’s site before making your purchases, though if you already registered for the 5% Q4 bonus, you do not need to register a second time. Additionally, don’t forget that you can use the Freedom card to earn Ultimate Rewards points, rather than cash, if you also own a premium card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred.
If you don’t already have the card, now’s as good a time as any to sign up — Chase Freedom is currently offering a sign-up bonus of $150 (or 15,000 points) after you spend $500 in the first three months. Note that Chase’s quarterly 5x promo only applies to the first $1,500 in combined purchases, so if you spend $500 on Zappos (another partner), for example, you’ll only be able to earn 5x on $1,000 in Amazon purchases. However, because this latest promo was just announced, Chase is resetting the $1,500 maximum, so you’ll be able to earn 5% on $1,500 in purchases through November 22, PLUS 10% on $1,500 in purchases beginning November 23. Additionally, come 2016, a completely new cash-back offer will be available for cardholders. Last quarter, Freedom users earned 5% cash back at gas stations and Kohl’s.
It's a stellar cash back card on its own, but when paired with the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred, the Freedom's 5x Category Bonuses let you rack up Chase Ultimate Rewards Points, transferrable to partners or redeemable via the portal.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.74-25.49%. Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee