This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
Following a similar deal from Hilton earlier this week, Starwood is now offering its members up to 10% off stays at select hotels in the Americas. The deal is only offered to those who book directly with Starwood, rather than through a third-party site or travel agent. You must be an SPG member in order to take advantage, but if you’re not already, you can join for free at the time of booking. The offer is valid for stays booked and completed between October 29, 2015 and January 31, 2016.
As noted in the above image, you’ll receive regular perks, such as Starpoints and free in-room internet access. Availability varies from property to property, but is specified when booking. When making a reservation on the site, use Rate Plan SPGD1-10 for the discount. Also of note, cancellations with the member discount are non-refundable.
Let’s take a look at a few example bookings:
This Spectacular Room at the W New York – Union Square has the deal for guests who book arrivals Thursday through Saturday. With the SPG member rate, the room is $383 per night, whereas without the discount, it’s $403 per night – about a 5% discount. Including all charges and taxes, this sample stay in December 2015 totals $443 per night.
At the Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, a room with two double beds with the SPG member rate was going for $362 per night (plus charges and taxes) for the sample date we picked in March 2016. The regular flexible rate for this room for the same period is $402 per night (plus charges and taxes), which is about a 10% discount.
This sample stay in March 2016 at the St. Regis Princeville Resort in Kauai, Hawaii, has Mountain/Garden View Rooms with the SPG member discount at $527 per night not including charges and taxes. The normal prepaid raid for this room is $555 not including charges and taxes, which is about a 5% discount. An alternative option is to book with AAA, which has a nightly rate of $546, which isn’t much less than the non-discounted price, but there’s no penalty for canceling or changing your reservation up until a few months before arrival.
Of course, you might get a better deal by redeeming Starpoints, instead. You can boost your balance by signing up for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express, which is currently offering 25,000 Starpoints after you spend $3,000 in the first three months. The card charges no foreign transaction fees, so consider using it for cash bookings throughout the world as well.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards