This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
Following a similar deal from Hilton earlier this week, Starwood is now offering its members up to 10% off stays at select hotels in the Americas. The deal is only offered to those who book directly with Starwood, rather than through a third-party site or travel agent. You must be an SPG member in order to take advantage, but if you’re not already, you can join for free at the time of booking. The offer is valid for stays booked and completed between October 29, 2015 and January 31, 2016.
As noted in the above image, you’ll receive regular perks, such as Starpoints and free in-room internet access. Availability varies from property to property, but is specified when booking. When making a reservation on the site, use Rate Plan SPGD1-10 for the discount. Also of note, cancellations with the member discount are non-refundable.
Let’s take a look at a few example bookings:
This Spectacular Room at the W New York – Union Square has the deal for guests who book arrivals Thursday through Saturday. With the SPG member rate, the room is $383 per night, whereas without the discount, it’s $403 per night – about a 5% discount. Including all charges and taxes, this sample stay in December 2015 totals $443 per night.
At the Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten, a room with two double beds with the SPG member rate was going for $362 per night (plus charges and taxes) for the sample date we picked in March 2016. The regular flexible rate for this room for the same period is $402 per night (plus charges and taxes), which is about a 10% discount.
This sample stay in March 2016 at the St. Regis Princeville Resort in Kauai, Hawaii, has Mountain/Garden View Rooms with the SPG member discount at $527 per night not including charges and taxes. The normal prepaid raid for this room is $555 not including charges and taxes, which is about a 5% discount. An alternative option is to book with AAA, which has a nightly rate of $546, which isn’t much less than the non-discounted price, but there’s no penalty for canceling or changing your reservation up until a few months before arrival.
Of course, you might get a better deal by redeeming Starpoints, instead. You can boost your balance by signing up for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express, which is currently offering 25,000 Starpoints after you spend $3,000 in the first three months. The card charges no foreign transaction fees, so consider using it for cash bookings throughout the world as well.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees