This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Great news for West Coast readers! United just announced plans to launch service to Auckland, New Zealand and Tel Aviv. Both flights will be operated by the airline’s brand new 787-9 Dreamliner, which currently flies ultra-long-haul routes, such as Los Angeles to Melbourne, Australia.
United’s 787-9 Dreamliner includes 48 flat-bed seats in BusinessFirst, 88 seats in Economy Plus and 116 seats in the standard economy cabin. All rows include on-demand seat-back entertainment, power outlets and USB ports. All 787-9s are equipped with satellite Wi-Fi.
Tel Aviv service will launch first, on March 30, 2016. Flights will operate three days a week — United 954 will depart San Francisco at 8:00pm on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, arriving in Tel Aviv at 8:10pm the next day. On the return, United 955 will depart Tel Aviv at 12:55am on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays, arriving in San Francisco at 6:00am the same day. Flight times will be about 14 hours to Tel Aviv and 15 hours back to San Francisco.
Daily Auckland service, meanwhile, will begin on July 1, 2016. United 917 will depart San Francisco at 10:45pm each day, arriving in Auckland at 6:55am two days later. The return, United 916, will depart Auckland at 1:20pm and arrive in San Francisco at 6:40am on the same day. Flight times will be roughly 13 hours to Auckland and about 12.5 hours on the return.
United also recently announced service to Xi’an, China, which begins May 8, 2016. The Tel Aviv and Xi’an flights will be available to book beginning October 10, while the Auckland flight will be available to book beginning October 17. United flights to Israel require 42,500 miles each way in economy and 70,000 miles each way in business each way. Flights to China require 35,000 miles in economy and 70,000 miles in business. Flights to New Zealand, meanwhile, require 40,000 miles in economy and 70,000 miles in business.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards