Singapore to Resume World’s Longest Flights from New York and LA
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This morning, Singapore Airlines announced plans to re-launch the world’s longest flight, traveling nonstop from New York to Singapore. The airline will operate its flagship route with the Airbus A350-900ULR, which will have a range of just over 10,000 miles — more than enough to handle the 9,500-mile flight from New York and 8,700-mile flight from LA.
The NYC flight is nearly 1,000 miles longer than Emirates’ nonstop from Dubai to Panama, and used to be operated by the now-retired Airbus A340-500. Now, at just shy of 10,000 miles from New York to Sydney, an airline like Qantas could theoretically one-up Singapore with its own 20-hour nonstop, though that isn’t terribly likely.
Singapore has 63 A350-900s on order, including seven of this new ULR (ultra-long-range) variant, which will be used for the NY and Los Angeles nonstops. The airline has confirmed that the A350 will offer its upgraded seats, though we still don’t know what those will look like. It’s also unclear whether the plane will be operated in an all-business configuration, or with multiple classes of service. The A350-900ULR is expected to be delivered in 2018.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees