Exciting New Airline Routes for October 2015 and Beyond
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each month, airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes — and today, TPG Assistant Editor Matt Zuzolo shares just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (e.g., flight schedules, aircraft and more) could change based on travel dates.
NEW AIRLINE ROUTES LAUNCHED IN OCTOBER 2015
Miami (MIA) – Vienna (VIE) on Austrian Airlines (launched October 16, 2015)
Details — Austrian Airlines launched its sixth flight to North America this month. The airline will operate its two-class Boeing 777 aircraft five days per week year-round, and the flight will clock in at about 9 hours and 40 minutes. The plane has 48 flat-bed business seats, along with 260 standard seats in economy.
Schedule (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday):
- OS98 Miami 5:10pm Departure ⇒ Vienna 8:50am (+1) Arrival
- OS97 Vienna 9:55am Departure ⇒ Miami 3:20pm Arrival
Newark (EWR) – Copenhagen (CPH) on SAS’ all-business 737 (launched October 25, 2015)
Details — SAS began flying its all-business 737 flight to Newark this month. The flight has just 44 angle-flat seats and is one of the longest routes operated by a 737. Until last week, it flew on an oil route between Houston and Stavanger, Norway. The flight will now operate between Newark and Copenhagen until 2016, and eventually move to serve SAS’ Boston-Copenhagen route with a two-class configuration.
Newark – Copenhagen
- SK902 Newark 10:55pm Departure ⇒ Copenhagen 12:45pm (+1) Arrival
- SK901 Copenhagen 6:25pm Departure ⇒ Newark 9:35pm Arrival
Boston – Copenhagen
- SK928 Boston 5:30pm Departure ⇒ Copenhagen 7:00am (+1) Arrival
- SK927 Copenhagen 12:50pm Departure ⇒ Boston 3:20pm Arrival
Houston-Hobby (HOU) — six new cities on Southwest (October and November 2015)
Details — Southwest is expanding its international service this month and in early November, with all flights originating in Houston (HOU). Service to four Mexican destinations — along with flights to San Jose, Costa Rica — launched in mid-October; flights to Liberia, Costa Rica and Montego Bay, Jamaica will launch on November 1.
Launched October 15:
- Mexico City
- Puerto Vallarta
- San Jose del Cabo/Los Cabos
- San Jose, Costa Rica
Launching November 1:
- Liberia, Costa Rica
- Montego Bay, Jamaica
Orange County (SNA) — Los Cabos, Mexico (SJD) on Alaska Airlines (launched October 8, 2015)
Details — Alaska launched new service from Orange County to Los Cabo this month. The airline is set to operate the flight four times per week using 737 aircraft.
Schedule (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday):
- AS214 Orange County 10:05am Departure ⇒ Los Cabos 1:20pm Arrival
- AS215 Los Cabos 2:20pm Departure ⇒ Orange County 3:44pm Arrival
NEW AIRLINE ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN OCTOBER 2015
Midwest — Europe on Delta (launching May 26, 2016)
Details — Delta will launch two new flights between the Midwest and Europe next spring, with the introduction of service between Detroit and Munich, plus Minneapolis and Rome. The airline will operate a 767 on both of these routes.
Detroit – Munich
- DL23 Detroit 7:55pm Departure ⇒ Munich 10:45am (+1) Arrival
- DL22 Munich 12:30pm ⇒ Detroit 4:00pm Arrival
Minneapolis – Rome
- DL90 Minneapolis 5:25pm Departure ⇒ Rome 10:00am (+1) Arrival
- DL91 Rome 11:45am Departure ⇒ Minneapolis 3:45pm Arrival
San Francisco long-haul Dreamliner service on United (launching 2016)
Details — Last month, United announced plans to begin Dreamliner service between San Francisco and Xi’an, China. This month, Dreamliner fans have two more routes to be excited about, with service announcements for flights from San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand and Tel Aviv, Israel. The Auckland flight is slated to begin on July 1, 2016, while the Tel Aviv route is set to start on March 30, 2016.
San Francisco – Auckland (daily)
- UA917 San Francisco 10:45pm Departure ⇒ Auckland 6:55am (+2) Arrival
- UA916 Auckland 1:20pm Departure ⇒ San Francisco 6:40am Arrival
San Francisco – Tel Aviv (three times per week)
- UA954 San Francisco 8:00pm Departure ⇒ Tel Aviv 8:10pm (+1) Arrival (Wednesday, Friday and Sunday departures)
- UA955 Tel Aviv 12:55am Departure ⇒ San Francisco 6:00am Arrival (Tuesday, Friday and Sunday departures)
Lufthansa service to the US (launching spring 2016)
Details — Lufthansa will add new service to the US in 2016, with flights connecting both Denver (DEN) and San Jose (SJC) to Germany. Starting on May 11, 2016, the carrier will fly its four-class A330-300 between Denver and Munich. Service between San Jose and Frankfurt will launch on April 29, 2016, using Lufthansa’s A340-300 aircraft. Both routes will operate five times per week.
Denver – Munich
- LH481 Denver 4:05pm Departure ⇒ Munich 10:05am (+1) Arrival
- LH480 Munich 11:45am Departure ⇒ Denver 2:30pm Arrival
San Jose – Frankfurt
- LH489 San Jose 3:20pm Departure ⇒ Frankfurt 11:35am (+1) Arrival
- LH488 Frankfurt 10:40am Departure ⇒ San Jose 1:40pm Arrival
Aer Lingus Service to the US (launching 2016)
Details — Aer Lingus will be launching in three new US cities next year — Los Angeles (LAX), New York (EWR) and Hartford, CT/Springfield, MA (BDL). Following this addition, the Irish airline will be operating 12 routes to 10 cities in North America.
Singapore will resume the world’s longest flight (2018)
Details — This month Singapore announced that it will resume the world’s longest flight, offering nonstop service between New York and Singapore. The airline will operate this route on an Airbus A350-900ULR, which will have a range of just over 10,000 miles — enough for the 9,500-mile journey. Singapore Airlines will also fly a route between Los Angeles and Singapore.
Ethiopian will expand service in the US (June 2016)
Details — New York is expected to be Ethiopian’s fourth North American destination starting in June 2016, joining Los Angeles, Toronto and Washington. The airline will be expanding its long-haul service with the introduction of new A350 and 787 aircraft. Ethiopian is also eying new routes to Chicago and Houston in 2017.
Which new airline routes are you most excited about?
Welcome to The Points Guy!