This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN
The OPEN Savings benefit is for American Express OPEN Business Cards. Members automatically get discounts of 5% or 2 additional Membership Rewards points for each eligible dollar spent on their Business Card at participating OPEN Savings merchants. For a few years, this included US Hyatt properties, but effective January 1, 2016, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts will no longer be a partner.
This leaves Hertz as the only travel-related participant in the program (others include FedEx, 1800Flowers.com and HP). Back in July, TPG Contributor Richard Kerr showed us 6 ways to maximize OPEN Savings discounts, and other than Hyatt, the tips still apply.
As a reminder, here are the best credit cards with OPEN savings:
The Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN — This card offers a vast array of benefits, including a $200 airline fee credit; lounge access via Delta Sky Clubs, Amex Centurion Lounges, and the Priority Pass Select program; an application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck; free Boingo Wi-Fi; automatic Starwood Gold Status; access to the Fine Hotels & Resorts program; 10 Gogo in-flight Wi-Fi passes; and no foreign transaction fees. The card currently offers a sign-up bonus of 40,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months of card membership. The annual fee of $450 can quickly be recouped via the airline credit, lounge access, free Wi-Fi and OPEN savings.
The Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express — Apart from the fact that this card earns what TPG considers the most valuable loyalty currency out there, American Express just announced some new benefits that will be added to both the personal and business versions of the card in August. This card currently offers a sign-up bonus of 25,000 Starpoints after you make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of card membership. After the first year there’s a $95 annual fee.
The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN — This card earns 3 points per dollar in your top choice from among five categories, while you’ll still earn 2 points per dollar in the other four categories. Choose from US shipping purchases, purchases made directly with an airline, US purchases on advertising in select media, US gas stations or US computer hardware, software and cloud computing purchases made directly from select providers. Bonus points are capped on the first $100,000 in purchases in each of the 5 categories. The card currently offers a sign-up bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend $5,000 on the card within the first 3 months of card membership. The $175 annual fee is waived for the first year.
Have you ever taken advantage of the Amex OPEN Hyatt rebate? Will this discontinuation affect your travel plans?
Apart from hotel redemptions, you can transfer Starpoints to over 30 airline partners, and now also transfer points from Starwood to Marriott Rewards at a 1:3 ratio, opening up even more redemption options.
- Earn 100,000 bonus points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 10/31/2018.
- Earn 6 points for each dollar of eligible purchases at over 6,500 participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels across 110 countries worldwide.
- Earn 4 points at U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers, and on U.S. purchases for shipping. Earn 2 points for all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Select hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy complimentary Silver Elite status with your Card.
- Plus, spend $35,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and earn an upgrade to Gold Elite status through the end of the next calendar year.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases and $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees