This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
Starwood regularly awards travelers with small incentives for things like booking a stay through the SPG app or subscribing to e-statements. This month, SPG members can earn points by updating the security question associated with their user accounts. The promo will reward 150 points for just a few minutes of work, and is available until October 31, 2015.
To change the questions and earn your bonus points, either follow this link, or simply go to the “My Profile” page accessed via the toolbar while you’re logged in to your SPG account, and edit your security question in the “My Account” page. After changing the questions, be sure to save your changes.
150 Starpoints is nowhere near enough to get you a night at the W Hong Kong or the Prince de Galles in Paris (or anywhere else), but it will keep your points from expiring. And with Starwood offering bonuses on a frequent basis, it’s certainly worth taking the few minutes to earn the points, as these small offerings add up over time.
SPG is also currently offering up to 10,000 bonus points for staying at Tribute Portfolio properties, such as the Royal Palm South Beach Miami, in addition to running a fall promotion of double points on stays. Of course, you can earn many more Starpoints through Amex’s credit card offers — currently, you’ll earn 25,000 points after spending $3,000 in the first three months with the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees