This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The short answer? NO. Some transferable-points programs offer great hotel transfer rates all the time — with other programs, opportunities come and go. Citi falls into that latter camp with its one and only hotel transfer partner, Hilton HHonors.
Normally, Citi ThankYou Points, the currency of Citi’s non-co-brand cards, including Citi Prestige and the Citi Premier Card, transfer to Hilton at a 1:1.5 ratio. So 1,000 Citi points become 1,500 Hilton points. Through January 6, 2016, however, Citi’s running a promotion, giving you two HHonors points for every one ThankYou point you transfer.
Should You Transfer?
TPG values Hilton HHonors points at just 0.5 cents each. Citi points, by comparison, are worth 1.6 cents. Under the normal transfer ratio, you’d get 0.75 cents in value for every 1.6-cent ThankYou point you transfer. With this bonus, however, your 1.6-cent points are worth 1 cent after the transfer. Sounds pretty bad, huh? Well, it is.
Instead of transferring your points to Hilton (and losing significant value in the process), consider using your points to book travel on American Airlines. If you have the Citi Prestige card, your points are worth 1.6 cents each toward AA flights booked through the ThankYou Travel Center.
You’ll also get great value when transferring to some of Citi’s airline partners, including Singapore Airlines, which charges just 57,375 miles for an A380 Suites flight from New York to Europe. You’ll also get a better return from Citi’s latest partner, Virgin America, which is offering a transfer bonus of its own through October 21.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees