This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Las Vegas locals and tourists alike can now rejoice, as Uber is up and running in Sin City. Users will only have access to uberX, which is one of Uber’s lower-cost options. The ride-sharing service is currently operating in the following Nevada areas: Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno, with the exception of McCarran International Airport (pickups still aren’t legal there, but hopefully soon they will be). If you haven’t signed up for Uber, you can join here and get your first ride free in Las Vegas or elsewhere (up to $20).
Uber’s had a long battle in Nevada, as the service was banned back in 2014 for not complying with permit and licensing protocols. However, it seems the company’s finally prevailed — just two days ago, the Nevada Transportation Authority approved Uber (and rival Lyft) to operate in the Las Vegas area.
As visitors to Vegas have likely noticed, the city lacks sufficient public transport and taxi options, so Uber could certainly come in handy on your next trip.
Uber has provided the following sample fare estimates so new users can get an idea of pricing in the Nevada areas of operation:
- University of Nevada—Las Vegas to Downtown Las Vegas: $13-17
- University of Nevada—Las Vegas to Summerlin: $34-45
- Downtown Las Vegas to Summerlin: $36-48
- Downtown Las Vegas to Henderson: $39-52
- Henderson to Summerlin: $63-84
- Downtown Reno to Wells Avenue: $5
- Midtown Reno to the University of Nevada, Reno: $7-9
- University of Nevada Reno to Reno-Tahoe International Airport: $10-13
- Wells Avenue to Old Southwest Reno: $12-15
- Downtown to Mt. Rose Ski Resort: $58-77
- Capitol in Carson City to Reno Airport: $65-87
For more info, check out Maximizing Uber for Both Occasional and Frequent Riders.
What are your thoughts on Uber coming to Las Vegas? Will you be taking advantage of the car service there?
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.